Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: _obsKuriTies_2_: a KuesTion of eThiKs?

From: robinson@islnds.dec.com
Date: 19 Jun 89 12:32:02 GMT
Subject: Re: _obsKuriTies_2_: a KuesTion of eThiKs?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@shlump.dec.com

In article <8906182333.AA23171@hop.toad.com>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes...
>Really-From: tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney)
>
>Mr. Maroney would point out that his message was provoked, not so much
>by indignation at the act itself (though that is real), but at the
>continued refusal of Marvick himself "to consider the delicacy of this
>problem before condemning" those of us who choose not to participate.

I think that if Mr. Maroney had read this newsgroup for any number of months
he would have understood IED's position on bootlegs and the like.  Therefore,
I have no doubts that IED has spent much time exploring the moral ramifications
of the distribution of this work.

>His statements on the matter have been extremely intemperate and
>deliberately insulting, implying -- no, stating outright! -- that those
>of us who do not buy these bootlegs have an inferior appreciation of
>KT's work.  It is primarily an emotional reaction to the nth repetition
>of this self-righteous, "bushier than thou" attitude which led to
>Maroney's counterattack; and now Marvick is requesting a courtesy for
>himself which he has always refused to those of us on the other side of
>the fence.

Are you a _fanatic_ - have you spent the time and resources that one can only
glimpse that IED has in his devotion to KT?  Although not the best emotional
argument I have no delusions about who is the "bushiest" (and it ain't you).

>Mr. Maroney has stated no such thing.  He has stated only that IED is
>lucky not to have been prosecuted for the crime.  This is not an
>expression of his personal wishes, only of pragmatic reality.

Actually from a legal point of view I >highly< doubt that the demo-tapes
were/are copyrighted.  And I after reading Mr. Moroney's first post I thought
that he was implying that IED should be prosecuted - aren't we amongst friends
here?

>came in the form a cease and desist letter from the Pythons'
>solicitors, and he was obliged to post a network message requesting
 ^^^^^^^^^^
>Perhaps you are unaware that if the Pythons, or KT, were to behave in
>any wise differently, they would legally have surrendered their
>copyright forever in the material.  Perhaps you are unaware that
>copyright, which you have violated so profligately, is meant to be a
>legal reflection of the moral right of artists to control distribution
>of their material.  In any case, I repeat that to violate it shows
>disrespect for the author's rights and interests.

I would highly doubt that the 'Pythons' knew/know anything about this
incident - I wonder if it were the lawyers who thought that they might
be losing $$$$$ that sent the s&d letter - did the artsist have any say -
I highly doubt it.

>I do not think this is as different from rape as it might
>appear to someone who is not themselves an artist.  If you are looking
>for parallels in history, you might consider that Dickens' hatred for
>America had a great deal to do with the widespread pirating of his work
>in the States.

As a writer and 'artist' myself I find this analogy highly offensive and
lacking in good taste - the whole argument smacks of the 'have you beaten your
wife lately' logic.  I could never speek for KT - but I doubt
that she is loosing too much sleep over the matter - I think that in general
we are attaching too much significance to the matter.

>I am sure you consider it admirable that you have done this, but
>even minimal respect for KT's interests would have demanded that
>you do it *before* engaging in your criminal conspiracy.

Now it is you who dictate the docterine of "bushiness".

>And finally, I hope you will see fit to send her a copy of both
>IED's and Maroney's messages on this subject.

Why don't _you_  - you seem to feel strongly enough about the subject.

>"Something was badly amiss with the spiritual life of the planet, thought
> Gibreel Farishta.  Too many demons inside people claiming to believe in
> God." -- Salman Rushdie, THE SATANIC VERSES

Now let me see - if I were a devout Muslim I could not question docterine -
therefore I have no choice but to condemn Salman Rushdie to death.  And if
I were a lawyer (and the demos tape was copyrighted - which I doubt) I would
have no choice but to condemn IED for his copying of it.  Do you see a flaw
in this logic????????

will                      decwrl!islnds.dec.com!robinson

'Now instead of making billions and billions and billions of dollars from the
 public the record companies are making billions and billions of dollars'

'we are here to interprate the law'