Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: _obsKuriTies_2_: a KuesTion of eThiKs?

From: henrik@eddie.MIT.EDU (Larry DeLuca @ The Bandykin Server)
Date: 19 Jun 89 05:46:50 GMT
Subject: Re: _obsKuriTies_2_: a KuesTion of eThiKs?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I also did not order a copy of the tape (The Cathy Demos).  I saw the
offer to do so and was sorely tempted (being it's been four years
and all since _Hounds of Love_ came out, etc.).

I considered pressing the 'r' key right then and sending my check off
to IED the next day.  But, being that I am squeamish about breaking
Copyright Law, etc. (while I believe the most sensible approach to be
*buy* released stuff, *distribute* pirated stuff I am generally not
able to bring myself to support the actions of pirates, directly or
indirectly) I chose to mull it over a bit more before proceeding.

Then I came across a note mentioning that Kate Bush herself was quite
upset about the leakage of these tapes.  I looked around my room at
all the old master tapes of music I'd written ages ago, the current
tapes of works in progress, and realized how violated I would feel.

It was a bit too much like reading her diary.

I don't condemn the people who can't resist, everyone has to make their
own choices about what's right and wrong, regardless of what any law
book may say.  However, I couldn't, in good conscience, purchase (or
listen to) a copy myself.

					larry...