Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbag for Friday, June 16

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 89 11:09 PDT
Subject: Mailbag for Friday, June 16

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

     First: John Precedo, relax! Your name _is_ on the list. It
showed up the same day your worried note showed up. Your money was
received and all is well.

 >Aargh! This hurts! I am one of those jerks who didn't include a SSAE...
 >But this may not be interpreted as a lack of love for Kathy's music!!
 >As a matter of fact: when The Dreaming became available on CD I spent
 >every penny I had (and even more I pennies I did _not_ have....) on a

     Wait a second! IED didn't mean to criticize anyone for not sending
an SSAE! He was only deploring the people who weren't sending in _anything_
_at_all_. Admittedly his prose was confusing. Anyway, IED is well aware
of (and sympathetic about) the difficulty for non-U.S.-based Love-Hounds
of getting U.S. stamps, and your (and other Europeans') extra U.S.
currency was _very_ much appreciated. So please don't take IED's poor
sentence construction as criticism. On the contrary, many thanks to you!
     Neil Calton suggested some interesting possible reasons
for the (relatively) small number of people who have ordered the
_obsKuriTies_2_ tape. IED would love to believe that any of those
reasons was the true explanation for the poor showing, but unfortunately
there is one crucial and unavoidable fact which refutes all of Neil's
suggested excuses: namely, that more than _130_ people rushed to
order a copy of the _first_ _obsKuriTies_ tape when it was offered in
Love-Hounds a couple of months ago. The only differences between that
offer and the present one are that this time $6.50 is being asked, and
that this time the tape includes fifteen previously unheard KT songs,
whereas the first one only included two!
     Therefore, IED can conclude only one of four things: either there
are a lot of Love-Hounds out there who value Kate's music pretty
lightly (i.e. at less than $6.50); or there are a lot of _incredibly_
poor Kate Bush fans in this group; or an awful lot of
Love-Hounds had a bad experience with (never received) their copy of the
first _obsK._ tape (and if this is so they never complained to that
effect in the group); or an awful lot of you are _fickle_Kate_fans!_
It's got to be one of those four reasons.

 >I seem to have missed the original article.  What's this all about?
 >I feel kind of lost; it sounds interesting.
 >
 >-- Steve Zwanger

     What article exactly was that, Steve? IED posts things under
the heading "misK." all the time. Incidentally, he does this because
his postings usually deal with a number of trivial items relating
in one way or another with Kate Bush, and to be more specific would
be a lot of trouble and take up too much space on the subject-line.
IED assumes that any true fan in this group will take the trouble to
glance at such generically titled postings in the knowledge that no
matter what their specific content, they will certainly deal with
aspects of Kate Bushology.
     "Kate Bush is God" (of the Western Wash. U. KBC) complained about
the non-appearance of the rest of IED's transcription of Kate's own
KBC _Newsletter_ writings. |>oug recently assured IED that he would
try to dig them up and re-distribute them in Love-Hounds soon.
However, IED would be willing to do it himself, providing you
could tell IED exactly where the stuff that _did_ appear left off.
Could you quote (exactly) the last 2 lines of the text that did
appear? That way IED can cue it up and re-format the missing portion,
for re-submission to Love-Hounds.

 >   I just finished listening to a copy of the demo tape (the same one
 >that IED has) that I received from another source.
 >   GET THIS TAPE!!!  Yes, there's hiss.  Yes, the sound is a bit rough.
 >Yes, the songs are fantastic.  No, they're unbelievable.
 >_The_Kick_Inside_ should have been a double album!
 >   What more can I say?
 >
 >-- Scott.

     What can IED say? He's pleased that Scott agrees with IED about
the music's quality, but he's worried that Scott has found the tape
on his own. Now IED has to take Scott off the list, and that means
refunding him his copying fee. Drat. Let's just hope we don't have
too many other people finding copies on their own before July 1st.

 >btw, while KaTe won't tour the states, how 'bout other
 >European countries?  (sorry to clutter love-hounds with such
 >questions ied, but i still don't know what the archives are--perhaps
 >you would enlighten me...)

     Why do you assume Kate won't tour the U.S. this time, Tracy? IED
thinks it's quite possible that if Kate does tour at all, she will make
at least a brief stop in the U.S. to concertize. She admitted in 1985
that if there was enough interest she would come to the U.S. So it really
depends on whether Kate is planning a tour at all, and if so, whether
KBVI shows enough serious sales potential in the States to warrant the
effort and financial investment. Both are real possibilities.
     Martin Hanley and Ed Horch, your messages were received. Don't
worry, there's plenty of time for your orders to arrive, and if for
some reason they are late, IED will not forsake you.
     Here is the latest update of the list of people who have ordered
copies of _obsKuriTies_2_:

     1. Scott Crumpton (now due his money back)
     2. Stephen Carter
     3. Mark Semich
     4. Stephen Tynor
   5/6. Peter F. Hill