Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: obscurity (was: Re: Beer etc (was: none))

From: Richard Caley <rjc%aipna.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 89 18:18:04 GMT
Subject: Re: obscurity (was: Re: Beer etc (was: none))
Dragon: Mnemouth
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: bloch%mandrill@ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch)

>Richard Caley <rjc%aipna.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK> writes:

>"Obscure" isn't the word I would use -- every pop record store in
>the country has HOL -- but she certainly isn't mentioned in the same
>breath with Collins or, say, Springsteen.

Same here, but only because she is considerred old hat. KB is
rememberred for Wow and Wutherring Heights.

And so, to reply ti IED ( I think ), yes one probably woul;d get put in
the same aesthetic category as a Collins fan.

>Wow! Somebody else has heard of Gong!  (Calm down, boy...)

Depends what you like. I _love_ Flying Teapot/ Angels Egg.
I have one more recent thing ( Breakthrough? Breakout? something like
that ) and _hate_ it. I mean, lyrics by L. Ron Hubbard? So, what should
I buy? I'd hate to get burnned that way again.

>I happen to be moderately fond of all the above.  I'll take Josquin
>over chant, Debussy over Bartok, Mannheim Steamroller over Tangerine
>Dream, and XTC over Gong, in most moods.  What else should I try?

Hm. Have you tried Eloy? Metromania may be worth your time.

Camel is reputed to be like the early Gong, I havn't tried any yet -
anyone with a report.

Hildregard of Bingen ( spelling may vary ) is probably quite good for
a Josquin fan. "Like a Feather on the Breath of God".

	rjc@uk.ac.ed.aipna    " Fight back, Or our lives will be like snow,
				So pure and clean, but washed away,
				In the heat of the black machine "
					-= Paul Kantner