Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: obscurity (was: Re: Beer etc (was: none))

From: bloch%mandrill@ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch)
Date: 4 Jun 89 06:17:21 GMT
Subject: Re: obscurity (was: Re: Beer etc (was: none))
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nobody%sdcsvax@ucsd.edu

Richard Caley <rjc%aipna.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK> writes:
>Obscure? Kate? Is she obscure over there in the colonies? Certainly
>saying here that you like KB will get you classed in with the Phil
>Collins crowd.
"Obscure" isn't the word I would use -- every pop record store in
the country has HOL -- but she certainly isn't mentioned in the same
breath with Collins or, say, Springsteen.

>I suggest you go listen to some Gregorian Chant/Bartok/Tangerine
>Dream/Gong ( or whatever - pick something very different from anything
>you have heard ) and try and make rational comments after one hearing.
Wow! Somebody else has heard of Gong!  (Calm down, boy...)
I happen to be moderately fond of all the above.  I'll take Josquin
over chant, Debussy over Bartok, Mannheim Steamroller over Tangerine
Dream, and XTC over Gong, in most moods.  What else should I try?

"The above opinions are my own.  But that's just my opinion."
Stephen Bloch