Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbag; and some clarifying info on _obsKuriTies_2_

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 89 12:25 PDT
Subject: Mailbag; and some clarifying info on _obsKuriTies_2_

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick

 >  Obscure? Kate? Is she obscure over there in the colonies? Certainly
 >saying here that you like KB will get you classed in with the Phil
 >Collins crowd.
 >
 >-- rjc@uk.ac.ed.aipna      "Look my eyes are just holograms,

     Well, perhaps insofar as both are extremely well known. IED
thinks it unlikely that many people, even in England where Kate
is very familiar, would classify the fan whose tastes run to Phil
Collins in the same aesthetic category as the fan who prefers Kate
Bush.

 >I nearly died -- it was "Another Day," which turns up on This Mortal
 >Coil's _It'll End in Tears_, sung by that other Lady with a Voice, Elizabeth
 >Fraser (of Cocteau Twins).  It was if all the heavenly spheres had suddenly
 >aligned (This Mortal Coil is my favorite "group.")

     Yeah, Frazer's version is dynamite. But IED is personally
convinced that she got the idea from seeing Kate's Christmas show
when she was younger. Frazer would probably never admit it, but
IED is still convinced.
     Kate also sang a duet with Harper on Harper's song _You_
(_The_Game_Part_II), from his album _The_Unknown_Soldier_, and
Harper sang (minimal) brief backup on _The_Dreaming_ LP.
     A lot of apparent interest in the 22-song demo collection.
Main query: Why didn't IED post his mailing-address? Good question.
He forgot. (WHY DID HE GET HIMSELF INTO ANOTHER HUGE MESS LIKE THIS
PROJECT?) Here it is: Andrew Marvick, 10499 Wilkins Avenue, Los Angeles,
CA 90024, U.S.
     NOTE, TO ANYONE WHO IS COMING IN LATE: IED (Andrew Marvick) is
NOT doing this copying service for ANY profit of any kind. He will
probably end up losing some money on the deal, even. And that's not
counting his opportunity cost. He isn't too clear about the reasons
for his doing this. He knows that Kate herself probably doesn't want
these tapes to go out, and he genuinely sympathizes with her on this
point. But IED can't stomach the idea that some bastard jerk in the
bootleg biz is going to be doing everything he can to make a mint
off of Kate's songs. And since there's nothing IED can do to stop that,
he feels the next best thing is to try to get the tape out to fans
for "free". Also, the other fan clubs are much slower about these
things, and anyway, IED wouldn't like to go so far as to organize
such a project through so public a forum as _Homeground_. He suspects
that this whole issue will be discussed eventually in the fanzines,
and at some point Kate will probably have to make some kind of
statement. It's a tough situation all around, but for god's sake,
these are _great_songs_! How can IED just sit on 22 Kate demos and
listen to them alone? Music like this was meant to be heard by
appreciative ears.
     NOTE: Suggestions have been made--some of them contradictory--about
possible packaging of the tape. IED appreciates all suggestions.
For the sake of making a decision quickly, however, here is the plan:
send a stamped, self-addressed envelope along with your $6.50.
And try to make it a reasonably stiff or otherwise protective
envelope. Also, probably it's a good idea to weigh your envelope
with a cassette (in its case) first so you know how much return
postage is needed. You don't want IED to send your tape out to you,
only to have it come back to him a week later due to insufficient
postage.
     If for some reason you cannot provide IED with your own
postage materials, however, be sure to send IED $7.50 or $8.00
instead of the $6.50 minimum, so that IED can at least re-imburse
himself for the cost of your envelope and postage. Also, be SURE
to send a clear copy of your return-address--preferably on a re-usable
label, so IED can just stick it onto the envelope.
     In fact, there is still a real possibility that fewer than 50
people will order a copy, in which case the cost for each copy would
be $8.50 minimum per order. You might want to be ready to
send extra cash in that case, or you might consider sending the full
$8.50 now. If the order exceeded 50 copies, IED would of course
send the extra back to you with the tape.
     IED apologizes for all these statements, which seem to emphasize
the obvious, but he has discovered that a surprising number of otherwise
very bright people can easily forget some details of this kind.
     One more word about the tape: Although the sound is adequate,
and should still be reasonably decent on the copies, it is _not_
actually "good" sound. Therefore, anyone who is considering sending
IED $6.50 (or more) and an SSAE should decide right now whether they are
paying the money in order to get a good-sounding piece of audio, or
whether they simply want a chance to get a first listen to some early but
great Kate Bush songs. Let there be no complaints, in other words, from
people afterwards, complaining that there's too much tape hiss or
high-end distortion. Such flaws are unavoidable with this product.
     All these warnings given, it remains to IED only to wish everyone
who takes the plunge happy (eventual) listening!

-- Andrew Marvick