Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

bootleg ethics; FLAME OFF already

From: jw@math.mit.edu
Date: Mon, 29 May 89 14:15:58 EDT
Subject: bootleg ethics; FLAME OFF already

IED writes:
> You seem to have found a way to retain a feeling of virtu-
> ousness even while you continue to buy bootleggers' products.

Surely one solution which would be acceptable to both IED and Larry (?)
would be to search out a bootlegged copy which you could tape for free
and then return. Either you could buy it from a shop, make tapes to
distribute, and then return it for cash or legitimate merchandise, or
you could find a person who had already bought the bootleg and solicite
taped copies for distribution. This doesn't seem to cross IED's absolutist
ethics (which I do not mean to disparage) and yet gets the job done.
It is just what I offered to do when seeking a copy of early 10,000 Maniacs
recordings (although I didn't mean to disseminate them widely, just wanted
one for myself.)

Laura writes:
> Ken apparantly missed the point of the list.  The originator asked us
> of rec.music.gaffa to send him mail listing what groups someone who likes
> Kate Bush would like.  The numbers after some of the groups were not
> ratings, but rather the number of votes greater that each group/artist got.

Laura, not having participated in the process yourself, you are understandably
confused. The "originator" compiled a list of all submissions and THEN asked
submitters to rank each of the 208 groups/composers named from 0-10. These
lists are later to be compiled and analyzed. The bone of contention is
simply one respondent's list.

Now, I for one am sick of hearing all the flaming back and forth on this
issue. Over 50 people have put some time and effort into this survey--if
you started nit picking over each of our personal tastes, you'd be at
it for ever. As one of the litigants suggested several postings ago,
kindly take your argument outside.