Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TOM TOM CLUB CONCERT REVIEW

From: cjs@ulysses.att.com@hotlf.att.com
Date: Mon, 15 May 89 08:55 EDT
Subject: TOM TOM CLUB CONCERT REVIEW

The TOM TOM CLUB
Tina Weymouth - bass, lead vocals
Chris Frantz - drums, vocals
Mark Roule - lead guitar, vocals
Gary Pozner - keyboards, vocals
The Love Warriors - vocals, percussive instruments
                    (these 2 women have changed since the
                     CBGB's gig last fall.  I didn't catch their names)

I just saw the TOM TOM CLUB at the CLUB BENE in Sayerville, NJ...
ANd all I can say is 'What a Show.'  Tina Weymouth and Chris
Frantz have learned their lessons well from touring as the
Talking Heads.  The show had the high energy level you'd expect
from Talking Heads members (ever see 'Stop Making Sense?  THis
show never stopped...just like the Talking Heads video/movie).

And as far as the Talking Heads/Tom TOm Club connection...
if nothing else, it was great to go to a small club and
stand only YARDS away from Tina Weymouth and Frantz.

During their show, they basically performed tracks off
their new album "Boom Boom Chi Boom Boom."  This included
the hits now getting airplay locally on
stations like WDRE and WHTG:  'Little Eva' and 'Wa Wa Dance'.

A highlight of weirdness for the evening was when Weynouth
put a stocking over her head for one of the songs....

The encore consisted of 'Under the Boardwalk', Lou Reed's
'Femme Fatale' and the classic TH 'Psycho Killer.'

Two interesting sidenotes:  A review I read of the TTC mentioned a
nude photo Tina Weymouth did in order to promote the new album.
I understand it's on the back of last month's Billboard.
I haven't seen it.....

This article also mentioned that the TH have signed a 5 record
deal with Sire and the next album should be out next year.

Adios,
C Swanson
hotlf!cjs@att.UUCP