Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: cucard!dasys1!jzitt@columbia.edu (Joe Zitt)
Date: 15 May 89 13:38:32 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: dasys1.UUCP

From: jzitt@dasys1.UUCP (Joe Zitt)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: KT NEWS; and IED, against a sea of naysayers, defends himself
Date: 15 May 89 13:38:27 GMT

In article <8905090049.AA00302@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
>For what it's worth, his contention was that Kate's _attitude_toward_
>the act of making music itself was new and different, in that she was no
>longer trying to "translate" into relatively well-established terms
>the original music she had conceived. Instead she was trying to
>reproduce _directly_ the ideas in her head. IED would argue that
>although others may have been the instigators of the ideas which they
>subsequently recorded/produced themselves (such as the artists you
>mentioned), they were unquestionably constrained by one of two
>attitudes or conditions which Kate Bush, with _The_Dreaming_, was
>able to free herself from (to at least a greater degree): either 1.)
>the notion that the transcendent musical conceptions originating in the
>mind are unreproduceable and can therefore only be _paralleled_ in more
>conventional and established terms (i.e. through rock or other
>instruments, recorded and possibly "treated" in some way in the
>studio); or 2.) the more common condition--that the artist's musical
>ideas are actually _conceived_ in the conventional language of existing
>sound....

While I am as avid a KTfan as anyone, I think ya gotta take a deep breath
here and examine what you`re saying.

Much of what you're attributing as a first to KT was done long before by
(among others) Brian Eno. I suggest you seek out his lectures and writings
on "The Recording Studio as a COmpositional Tool". For that matter, Yoko
Ono was engaged in the same work long before, as was Teo Macero (Miles
Davis's producer). Actually, I can also add to this list Karlheinz
Stockhausen, the Art Ensemble of Chicago, Bernie Krause...

The search for the use of sounds as musical materials has been ongoing
through the so-called avant-garde. Kate is adept at doing this, but I
think a lot of what you're attributing to her genius was also due to the
fact that she was ready and on the scene at the time that the Fairlight
happened.

--
Joe Zitt     *      {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2}!dasys1!jzitt     *     Big Electric Cat
PAM Repertory Company	    also: (killer,uunet,psuvax}!cbis3!elephant!zitt!joe