Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Crayon Rubbings (Was Re: NEW ALBULMS)

From: "M.A. Murphy" <MURPH%MAINE.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 May 89 20:57:31 EDT
Subject: Crayon Rubbings (Was Re: NEW ALBULMS)

"Edward D. Kania" <edkan%CONNCOLL.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu> writes:

>HEY FOLKS, I'M LOOKING FOR SOME NEW KATE BUSH-ISH TYPE MUSIC. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
>ANY ANSWER WOULD BE APRRECIATED.
>EDKAN@CONNCOLL

I hesitate to post this review since the band does not want to be
tagged with a Kate Bush comparison, but I do feel that this could
be of interest to Love.Hounds.

   _Hope And Ashes_ - Crayon Rubbings (1988 Erinys Records ERS-04,
Time - 34:10)  Laurel Garber's vocals impel this recording,  which
alternately rocks out and swings in a jazz/rock vein.  Garber also
wrote the eight songs that appear on _Hope And Ashes_.

   The  band  consists  of  Garber  (vocals,   keyboards),   Andre
Kuzniarek (guitars,   bass,  keyboards)   and Bill  Webber (drums,
percussives).   They are accompanied on two tracks by Scott Peters
(additional guitars),   Tim McNamara (saxophone)  and  Wayne Sloan
(clarinet).

   Garber's vocals evoke  images of a less ethereal  Kate Bush,  a
less nasal Stevie Nicks and a less flighty Maria Mckee.  Less adds
up to  more as Laurel  Garber is  a unique and  engaging vocalist.
The band also knows how to arrange a pop tune, the first six tunes
are excellent examples of this.   The addition of sax and clarinet
on "Rattle the  Shack" and "Tricks of Time"  give the arrangements
that little extra something that make  them swing as well as rock.
The  last  two tracks  ("Places"  &  "Summer")  lean  towards  the
ethereal and experimental and are  the tracks most responsible for
comparisons to  Kate Bush (though  the band  would not like  to be
tagged with that comparison).

   _Hope And  Ashes_ is a  fine album by  a group that  works well
together.   It  is well  produced,  but  retains a  raw feel  that
accentuates the  tunes rather than  glossing over them  with slick
production.   Singer Laurel  Garber is a distinctive  vocalist who
should gain more exposure in time.  I dislike focusing on her more
than the band,   but major labels tend to leave  bands behind when
signing uniquely talented singers.   I, for one, would like to see
the group  garner a  major label contract.    A solo  contract for
Laurel is more  likely.   Of course,  the group  could languish in
relative obscurity like so many good regional groups do.   If this
happens,  I hope they'll keep me up to date on what they're doing.
I am looking forward to their next recording!

    For information write to Erinys Records, PO  Box 655,  Urbana,
Illinois  61801.

                                            Murph

                                            Michael A. Murphy
                                            MURPH@MAINE.BITNET