Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: another bath

From: robinson@islnds.dec.com
Date: 12 May 89 12:58:32 GMT
Subject: Re: another bath
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: guest@shlump.dec.com

In article <8905091712.AA05359@thismoment.sun.com>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes...

>seem to be quite serious.  These boys do have something to say, and it's
>a pity that the marketing machine has attempted with some success to
>establish them in the public mind as just another Brit-pop duo.  My guess

Well I have watched this discussion go on too long without putting my $.02 -
I freely admit that I like both TfF albums with 'Songs' being my favorite -
I, however, do not subscribe to the notion that it was any 'marketing machine'
that made them hugely sucessful - it was one of those rare instances where
the 'top 40 music machine' picked-up some really quality music - I am
convinced that if 'Songs' had not been such a big top 40 hit it would have
been a big college hit.  Sure most of us got really sick of a couple of
the tracks on the disc due to overexposure on the radio - but I can go back
now and enjoy the entire album and feel secure that the music is not 'simple
-lowest-common-denominator-pop'.  Sit down and give it a spin - you might like
it.

>be seen on the "Scenes from the Big Chair" video live segments, which,

There is also a good live video called 'In my Minds Eye'.

will

decrwl!inslnds.dec.com!robinson

ps -anyone want to trade a copy of the kate 'rare-tracks' tape for a copy
    of the kate promo-cd with the remix of 'Cloudbursting' - the sound is
    awe-inspiring.