Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: another bath

From: duane@Sun.COM (Duane Day, I.R. - Applications Development)
Date: Wed, 10 May 89 09:41:58 PDT
Subject: Re: another bath

Regarding Tears for Fears, I wrote:

>>                           These boys do have something to say, and it's
>>a pity that the marketing machine has attempted with some success to
>>establish them in the public mind as just another Brit-pop duo.

To which Bill Wisner replied:

>Not a duo -- there are four of them.

Which, actually, is part of my point.  Count the members on the cover of
either album (photo, not group listing).  Count the members visible in
the videos for "Mad World", "Change", "Pale Shelter" and "Everybody Wants
to Rule the World".  I don't think it was until "Shout" and "Head Over Heels"
that Manny Elias or Ian Stanley actually appeared in a TfF video.  While
that may have been Curt and Roland's decision, and it may have been the
decision of marketing types, it leads to the conclusion (erroneous) that
there are only two members.  The "cute" ones, I guess...don't ask me.

To further compound the confusion, on their last two live incarntions
there were 7 members.  The other three folks from the last tour have brief
cameos in the "Head Over Heels" video and can be seen in the previously
mentioned "Scenes from the Big Chair", available for cheap video rental.
(Check it out - it really is worth a buck to see, IMHO, even if the editing
*is* execrable.)

One more note on the "Bath musical incest" - Ian Stanley played keyboards
for Peter Gabriel on the "Conspiracy of Hope" Amnesty International tour
(the first one).  Appropos of nothing, he also co-produced two tracks on
the new Howard Jones album.

So *when* will we get a new TfF album?  My money's on KBVI to come out
before TfFIII - if there ever *is* a TfFIII...