Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KT NEWS; and IED, against a sea of naysayers, defends himself

From: tynor%pyr@gatech.edu (Steve Tynor)
Date: 10 May 89 20:03:09 GMT
Subject: Re: KT NEWS; and IED, against a sea of naysayers, defends himself
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8457@ihlpf.ATT.COM> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: barth@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Richards)
>Well, it's not quite a direct mind/machine interface, but there is
>something on the market now that may be one step closer (especially for us
>non-keyboard players).  I have recently seen a device (the exact name
>escapes me) which allows you to control a cheap synthesizer by singing into
>a mic.  What you sing determines the pitch and rhythm, but the sound that
>comes out of the speaker is one of 20 or so patches that you select.  The
>really good news is that the thing is midi, and can be used to control any
>synth with a midi port.
>
>I haven't fiddled with the thing, so I don't know how well it works, but I
>do seem to remember it being ~$300 at Monkey Wards.

That's what I thought. I bought one of these gizmos in hopes of adding a
more natural interface to my MIDI setup (a CZ101, Synergy, Sun
workstation, and MIDIverb). The pitch tracking ability is really
_pitiful_. It's virtually impossible to hold a steady note. I have a
semi-professionally trained singing voice and can't hum well enough to
use it as a synth controller. (its kind of like adding a 'random
vibrato' (in semitones) to everything you do.  Ugh. Oh well. I returned
mine after a week of frustration.

Anyone out there have a used Pitchrider (by Fairlight?) that I could
take off you're hands?  (I've heard that these are very useable for
brass/wind instruments - how do they work on voice?)

No problem is so formidable that you can't just walk away from it.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Tech Research Institute
    tynor@gitpyr.gatech.edu