Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KT NEWS; and IED, against a sea of naysayers, defends himself

From: riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley)
Date: 12 May 89 15:15:31 GMT
Subject: Re: KT NEWS; and IED, against a sea of naysayers, defends himself
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In a very positive article, George (gfd@att.att.com@mtdca.att.com) writes:
[...]
>the studio has certain limiting factors (to our minds), but Kate seems unaware
>of them (and thus they don't exist! (there is a nice explanation of this idea in
>_Zen in the Art of Archery_ by Eugene Herrigel)).  These are ideas that both
>Debussy and Cage explored.  They did not see limitations in there work.  That is
>a feeling I get with a few of Kate's records: the artist's total indifference to
>the ideas of limitation in their composition.

I agreed somewhat with IED's and |>oug's comments on the subject, but this
is the first message in this thread that I absolutely, unreservedly agree
with.  "total indifference to the idea of limitation" is a wonderful way
of putting it, and agrees exactly with the impression I get from Kate's
music.  It also distinguishes between Kate and some of the other artists
mentioned with a clarity that I think both |>oug's and IED's arguments
lacked.  But of course, that's just my opinion.  Some familiarity with
Zen helps.

>P.S. If the tone of this article sounds a little negative, it is not meant to
>     be.

Actually, I thought it was wonderfully positive, even downright
inspirational.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, dsr@crnlns.bitnet)
"This moment in time/It doesn't belong to you/It belongs to me/
 And to your little boy and your little girl/ And the one hand clapping/
 Where on your palm is my little line/When you're written in mine/
 As an old memory"