Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sorry, but I just can't let this one go by...

From: arc!ken@apple.com (Ken Stuart)
Date: Fri, 5 May 89 12:18:18 PDT
Subject: Re: Sorry, but I just can't let this one go by...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8905051329.AA10721@smiley.mitre.org> you write:
>Really-From: (Michael J. Lamoureux) <lamour%smiley@gateway.mitre.org>
>
>	IED says a few words:
>
>	[ a lot of stuff which I may agree with deleted ]
>
>>Because it's not just the sophistication of
>>production _technique_ I'm considering (although that, too, is of
>>the highest order). More importantly, it's the artist's larger conception
>>of the _role_ of production as an indispensible part of music. With
>>_The_Dreaming_ "pop songs" are no longer being "composed". Kate is
>>attempting instead to transcribe the miraculous essence of her muse
>>_directly_onto_tape_, using every technical means she could find. In other
>>words, Kate Bush, for the first time in modern musical history, attempted
>>in a very physical, literal sense, to perform an act of _musical_alchemy_.
>
>       Let me get this straight...you're trying to tell me that you
>don't believe that ANYONE had done this before 1982???!!?!!?!?!?
>You're kidding right?  Immediately three names pop into my head.
>Rick Wakeman.  He produced ALL of his albums, and did a damn good job
>on several of them before 1982.  You don't think Frank Zappa had
>achieved this state with his music before 1982?  And before 1982,
>Todd Rundgren had already made several albums on which he played ALL
>of the instruments, produced, mixed, engineered, wrote all of the
>lyrics & music (and I might add that he even did the cover art on one
>or two of them).  What else could he do?  Go out on the street and
>sell it too?  I'm sorry, but you can't get away with this one.  I'd
>like to point out that these are just three in a list which I'm sure
>is quite long.  As much as I revere her, I can't lie about it,
>IED...Kate was not the FIRST.  And I'm fairly sure that I won't be
>the only one to explain this to you.  Could IED please clarify his

        I have to add Mike Oldfield to this list, i.e. people who
wrote all the music, played all the instruments, produced and so on,
starting in about 1972.  In fact, some of his work (especially where
he had female vocalists [such as his sister] sing) sounds somewhat (I
mean somewhat) like Kate Bush at times.

>statement? (Does "modern musical history" begin in 1981, perhaps :-)

	Isn't it obvious that it began in 1977? :-)  At least until
you "n" over to another group. :-) I think in rec.music.gdead it began
in 1965. :-)
--
                                      - Ken
Reply to : apple!arc!ken         \ Disclaimer: All the above is solely