Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sorry, but I just can't let this one go by...

From: (Michael J. Lamoureux) <lamour%smiley@gateway.mitre.org>
Date: Fri, 05 May 89 09:29:34 -0400
Subject: Sorry, but I just can't let this one go by...

	IED says a few words:

	[ a lot of stuff which I may agree with deleted ]

>Because it's not just the sophistication of
>production _technique_ I'm considering (although that, too, is of
>the highest order). More importantly, it's the artist's larger conception
>of the _role_ of production as an indispensible part of music. With
>_The_Dreaming_ "pop songs" are no longer being "composed". Kate is
>attempting instead to transcribe the miraculous essence of her muse
>_directly_onto_tape_, using every technical means she could find. In other
>words, Kate Bush, for the first time in modern musical history, attempted
>in a very physical, literal sense, to perform an act of _musical_alchemy_.

	Let me get this straight...you're trying to tell me that you don't
believe that ANYONE had done this before 1982???!!?!!?!?!?  You're kidding
right?  Immediately three names pop into my head.  Rick Wakeman.  He produced
ALL of his albums, and did a damn good job on several of them before 1982.  You
don't think Frank Zappa had achieved this state with his music before 1982?
And before 1982, Todd Rundgren had already made several albums on which he
played ALL of the instruments, produced, mixed, engineered, wrote all of the
lyrics & music (and I might add that he even did the cover art on one or two of
them).  What else could he do?  Go out on the street and sell it too?  I'm
sorry, but you can't get away with this one.  I'd like to point out that these
are just three in a list which I'm sure is quite long.  As much as I revere
her, I can't lie about it, IED...Kate was not the FIRST.  And I'm fairly sure
that I won't be the only one to explain this to you.  Could IED please clarify
his statement? (Does "modern musical history" begin in 1981, perhaps :-)

Regards,                                          (( I've been told, when I
                                                   (( get older that I'll
Michael Lamoureux (lamour%smiley@gateway.mitre.org) (( understand it all, but
The MITRE Corporation  7525 Colshire Drive         (( I'm not sure if I want
Mailstop Z531 McLean, VA  22102 (703) 883-5370    (( to.     -Kate Bush
                                                 (( "In Search Of Peter Pan"