Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: King Crimson

From: Dave Kennard <mcvax!tcom.stc.co.uk!rocky@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 89 13:19:03 GMT
Subject: Re: King Crimson
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: metlay <mpmst1@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu>
>
>King Crimson were responsible for launching art rock, heavy metal, progressive
>rock, and at least one or two other fields. They date back to 1970 or so, and
    Not sure I'd personally put it that strongly,              ^^^^
    but good influencial band for sure ...                     1969

>at one time or another included Robert Fripp (who rose to fame through Crimso),
>Greg Lake, Pete Sinfield, Mike Giles, John Wetton, Bill Bruford, Jamie Muir,
>David Cross, and others. They existed in three stages: the first Crimso had a
>gooey symphonic sound, with operatic vocals (Greg Lake and Jon Anderson) and
>lots of Mellotron. Albums included "In the Court of the Crimson King", "In the
>Wake of Poseidon," "Lizard," and "Earthbound." The second half of Crimso's
>early years was rawer and meaner, some of the best rock performances ever:
>"Larks' Tongues in Aspic", "Starless and Bible Black," "Islands", "Red" and
							 ^^^^^^^
Islands was thier 4th album - very much in the 1st group.

<stuff deleted>
>own only one definitive album from each phase, get "In the Court of the Crimson
>King", "Red", and "Discipline". (and by the way, expect a lot of flamage from
>people who won't believe anyone with an IQ over 65 hasn't heard of them.)
>
>Hope this helps.

Personally, whilst buying the best album from each of Crimson's phases is a
good way of introducing yourself to their delights, my choices would be:
"in the Court of the Crimson King" - a true legend.
"Larks Tongues in Aspic" - for me on the shortlist of greateset aver albums.
"Discipline" - by consensus (in GAFFA anyway) the best of the early 80's
	       incarnation.
Having written my choices down, I notice that each album is the first
produced in each of King Crimson's incarnations.  This leads to a general
question:-
  How many groups produce a very good, original 1st album, which they
  can never live up to?

  I would suggest > 50%

Regards,
	Dave Kennard.