Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

King Crimson

From: bradley!bucc2!pwh@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 89 18:23:45 CST
Subject: King Crimson

>King Crimson were responsible for launching art rock, heavy metal, progressive
>rock, and at least one or two other fields. They date back to 1970 or so, and
>at one time or another included Robert Fripp (who rose to fame through Crimso),
>Greg Lake, Pete Sinfield, Mike Giles, John Wetton, Bill Bruford, Jamie Muir,
>David Cross, and others. They existed in three stages: the first Crimso had a
>gooey symphonic sound, with operatic vocals (Greg Lake and Jon Anderson) and
>lots of Mellotron.

a couple comments:  1) "operatic vocals"???  No more so than early
Emerson Lake and Palmer.  2) on the very first album is the prototype
metal song, "21st Century Schizoid Man", which puts Black Sabbath to
shame.  Not very gooey OR symphonic, although most of the rest of the
album is very symphonic.  My favorite song (and why I got the album)
was the title track which is very majestic.
				...uiucdcs\
	Pete Hartman		......noao >!bradley!bucc2!pwh
				......cepu/

	   So, IED, tell us:  WHEN is She having an Album?