Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Armageddon, or some such ...

From: munnari!uowcsa.oz.au!stephen%uowcsa.cs.uow.oz.OZ@uunet.UU.NET (Stephen Nicholson)
Date: 10 Apr 89 22:18:26 GMT
Subject: Re: Armageddon, or some such ...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1092@blblbl.UUCP>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: henrik@blblbl.UUCP (Larry DeLuca)
>
> [ From the Love-Hounds backlog.... -- |>oug ]
>
> Apparently Fairlight Instruments, makers of the Fairlight CMI (a truly
> phenomenal music workstation, most recent incarnation the Series III)
> have gone out of business as of about 2 weeks ago.
>
> The phone rings unanswered at the New York office, the LA number has
> changed and there's only an answering machine identifying the number
> as belonging to Fairlight and asking people who need service or have
> tech support questions to leave a message, and the Nashville office
> seems to have disappeared altogether.

In Australia, where Fairlight started out I believe, the company has died.
The major fault seems to lie in the people who finally owned Fairlight -
some US corp. When they bought it they promised lots of money - that never
came through. From there it all went down the tubes. You never know,
you may see it resurrected yet, but not necessarily as Fairlight.

					Stephen

 Stephen Nicholson		ACSnet:	stephen@uowcsa
 Dept. of Computing Science	UUCP:	...!munnari!uowcsa.oz!stephen
 Uni. of Wollongong		ARPA:	stephen%uowcsa.oz@uunet.UU.NET

[Oh mighty OGBO save us from sobriety and teach us a sense of the ridiculous]