Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lyrics to demos

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 89 14:28 PDT
Subject: Lyrics to demos

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick

     Here are the lyrics of Kate Bush's newly released demo recordings,
as well as IED could make them out:

_Feeling_Like_a_Waltz_ <Bootleggers' title: _A_Rose_Growing_Old_>*

 Slipping past the chimney-pots,
 Down among the ashes, away from old times--
 Why must I self-indulge in memories?
 I should be celebrating to a moving melody,

      But it hurts me, it hurts me,
      Honey, honey, it hurts me.
      And I'm feeling like a waltz,
      Growing old, old, old, old, old.

 I was firy but you put me out.
 I was always one for loving and leaving.
 I like to think I was immune to romance.
 I should be laughing at some good old comedy.

      Oh, but it hurts me, it hurts me.
      Honey, honey, it hurts me.
      And I'm feeling like a waltz--

 If you laughed at me, I'd laugh too.
 <Inaudible>, don't you know that I'd be really breaking.
 L'amour--mon choux avec un etranger. <Making love--my darling w/a stranger.>
 I shouldn't care, you're not my darling anymore,

      But it hurts me, it hurts me,
      Honey, honey, honey, honey.
      And I'm feeling like a waltz,
      Growing old, old, old, old, old.

 <*--This song is only known from a demo recording which
Kate probably recorded sometime between 1974 and 1976.>

_Keeping_Me_Waiting_*

 A long way up in light-years,
 Just a pinpoint in space,
 In a century of planetary storms,
 Stranded at the moonbase,

      The air is getting low.
      The air is getting low.

 Looking out at the roof-window,
 I've seen many strange things,
 From shooting stars to Stars 'n' Stripes--
 Thought I'd caught a glimpse of golden wings.

      The air is getting low,
      The air is getting low,
      The air is getting low,
      The air is getting low.

           I got the vision of big white dove.
           I've heard the creaking of the pearly gates above.
           I'm wond'ring why the big white dove
           Is keeping me waiting, keeping me waiting,
           Keeping me waiting, keeping me waiting,
           Keeping me waiting, keeping me waiting.

 Looking way down below me,
 The worlds are all awhirl-whirly. <Uncertain>
 Won't you come along beside?
 This place waits for company.

      The air is getting low.
      The air is getting low.

 I leave my limbs behind me.
 As I'm being lifted
 Out into the--into the
 Spiritual boom-boom abyss. <uncertain>

      The air is getting low.
      The air is getting low.
      The air is getting low.
      The air is getting low.

           I got the vision of big white dove.
           I've heard the creaking of the pearly gates above.
           I'm wond'ring why the big white dove
           Is keeping me waiting, keeping me waiting,
           Keeping me waiting, keeping me waiting,
           Keeping me waiting, keeping me waiting.

 <*--This song is known only through a demo recording
which Kate made probably sometime between 1973 and 1976. The
title given here is only a guess, based upon the lyrics.>

_The_Kick_Inside_ (early version)

 I've pulled down my lace and the chintz.
 Oh, do you know? You have the face of a genius.
 I'll send your love to Zeus.
 Oh, by the time you read this,
 I'll be well in touch.

      I'm giving it all in a moment for you.
      I'm giving it all in a moment or two.
      I'm giving it all, giving it, giving it.
      The kicking here inside
      Makes me leave you behind.
      No more under the quilt
      To keep you warm.
      Your sister I was born. Lose me.
      You must lose me like an arrow,
      Shot into the killer storm.

 You and me on the bobbing knee--
 Welling eyes from identifying with Lizzy Wan's story.
 I will come home again, but not until
 The sun and the moon meet on yon hill.

      I'm giving it all in a moment for you.
      I'm giving it all in a moment or two.
      I'm giving it all, giving it, giving it, giving it, giving it!
      The kicking here inside
      Makes me leave you behind.
      No more under the quilt
      To keep you warm.
      Your sister I was born. Lose me.
      You must lose me like an arrow,
      Shot into the killer storm.

_Hammer_Horror_ (early version)

 Who stands in the belltower,
 Now you're gone.
 And who knows all the sights
 Of Notre Dame?

 You knew the girls and the times,
 You knew the rides and the rhymes.
 Now they're trying to push me into your name.

      Hammer Horror, Hammer Horror,
      Won't leave it alone.
      The first time in my life,
      The first break of my life,
      I'm letting go. <uncertain>
      Hammer Horror, Hammer Horror,
      Won't leave it alone.
      Oh no,
      It&ssq.s not the right thing to do!

 Who calls me from the other side
 Of the street?
 And who taps me on the shoulder?
 I turn around, but you're gone.

 You know my mind and my heart.
 So you should know I wouldn't take your part.
 All I want to do is forget
 You, friend.

      Hammer Horror, Hammer Horror,
      Won't leave it alone.