Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK.

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 89 11:27 PDT
Subject: MisK.

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

 > During one of the occurrences of these "pings",
 > I can definitely hear words in the background that
 > sound like guys on a submarine, and I can fairly
 > clearly make out the word "sonar".
 >
 > -- Chris

     IED was wondering when someone would mention the _explicit_
use of the word "sonar" in _The_Ninth_Wave_. Spelunking indeed!
     On quite another matter, IED would like to amend his first
announcement re the demo bootleg. One title on the cover and label
of the record is quite wrong. It reads _A_Rose_Growing_Old_. This
is based solely on the bootleggers' mis-hearing of the lyrics. The actual
lyrics prominently feature the phrase "And I'm feeling like a waltz,
growing old." The correct title of the song is almost certainly
_Feeling_Like_a_Waltz_.
     Finally, IED had no chance to mention it yesterday, but
the 34th issue of _Homeground_ has arrived, right on schedule as
it always does, and more professional-looking than ever. It
contains a long article by Peter detailing the Kate Bush biography
that never was and its connection with the Kerry Juby business.
Since IED was the author of _Homeground's_ pan review of the Juby
book, it seems that the publishers, Sidgwick and Jackson, are
holding IED at least partially responsible, and have expressly
asked him to send them suggestions for improving Juby's text for
a second edition. The letter from S&J was reproduced in _HG_. Meanwhile
_Q_ Magazine, which printed a very brief (but in IED's opinion
perfectly accurate and fair) review of the Juby book, are now
_being_sued_by_Juby_for_libel_! Amazing, and needless to say, a
little frightening to IED, who sees himself in a position
of similar vulnerability!

-- Andrew Marvick
   "Slipping past the chimney-pots..."