Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Does she die?

From: Michael Joseph Conroy <maynard2@pawl.rpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 89 14:42:02 EDT
Subject: Re: Does she die?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

OK.  With regards to her death, I can't be certain.  For one, her interview in
the Bristol Advocate(syndicated,of course) never mentioned death being a factor.
Also, if indeed she does die, she dies at the beginning shortly after "And
Dream of Sheep", otherwise, "watching you without me" would have a completely
different significance.  The sounds at the end of "Jig of Life" are decidedly
old NASA outtakes.  Aside from the obvious dialogue, the careful ear can
discern the characteristic reverb on the last bit of dialogue...(something to
the effect of "Math(?) data, tracking data, and three-point trajectory are all
one line."  The reverb is that of the sounds you always here when at a
launch because of where the speakers are placed in relation to the concrete
shielding.  Somehow, I know that sounds strange, but trust me...  Anyway,
with regards to the "Sub" sounds, no.  Although a friend of mine states that
the "Ninth Wave" was inspired by "Das Boot", the sounds at the end of "Hello
Earth" are not sub.  They are identical to the sounds in "Under Ice".  Although
that title suggests a submarine, the sounds heard are drips, not sonar pings.
A sonar ping, even in cold water, is not that clear because of temperature
gradients.  Also, the return on a sonar ping following the initial ping would
be somewhat distorted and more than one echo would be returned(I'm refering to
a short delay time between the other echoes...no two second delays count!)
Also, examine the reverb characteristic of the drip sound.  For any of you
spelunkers, the sound should be familiar.   That's all for now.  Critical
commentaries appreciated......  of course.