Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Fw:Love Hounds submission

From: Greg (G.T.) Ward <GREGW%BNR.CA@mitvma.mit.edu>
Date: 3 Apr 89 10:09:00 EDT
Subject: Fw:Love Hounds submission
Sender: Greg (G.T.) Ward <GREGW%BNR.CA@mitvma.mit.edu>

I am forwarding the following message for a friend who does not have
direct access to the net. I resolve myself of all responsibility for its
contents.

    Greg

BTW, while I'm sending something, has anyone heard any news on when
David Sylvian or Dolphin Brothers will be releasing new albums? They
put out two of the best albums in 1987, and I'm hoping they'll do it
again in 1989.

---forwarded-message---->

 1989 Mar 30 at 16:29  EST

 to:         Greg  Ward                   (BNR)      Dept 5L40    CRK

 copies to:  Joe  Grech                   (NT)       Dept 1906    BRW

 from:       Ted  Poltoranos              (NT)       Dept 1906    BRW

 subject:    Love Hounds submission

I recently bought the Voice Of The Beehive's "Let It Bee" album
(great title) and was quite impressed with it, so I was glad to
see it get some mention on Love Hounds.  I wasn't too pleased with
the comparison to the Bangles (yecch) or the B-52's because the
Voice are much more serious than either of them.  Superficially,
they may resemble those 2 bands (vocally - Bangles,  musically -
B-52's), but lyrically, the Voice are much deeper than either.
I saw them in concert last night at a local club, opening for
That Petrol Emotion (I think the promoter got the billing
backwards), and thought you'd like to here my humble opinion of
the show.  Since they were the opening act, they only played about
45 minutes.  The selections were mainly from "Let It Bee", with
3 or 4 new (unreleased) songs, a cover of the ComSat Angels
"Independence Day" and - as the encore - Led Zeppelin's "D'yer Maker".
Although the girls seemed very nervous while introducing songs,
band members or chatting with the audience, the songs were done
quite well.  It seemed like they were having a great time on stage,
which helps the audience have a good time.  I think the girls would
finish 1-2 in any Lene Lovich look-alike contest.  The only slightly
negative aspect of the evening was the crowd - the show was sold
out, but the crowd didn't get into the show - very little dancing/
slamming.  Maybe they were all TPE fans?

As long as I'm here, I might as well ask the All-Knowing, All-Seeing
Love Hounds Contributors a couple of questions that have been
gnawing at my brain (or what's left of it) for a while.  I know in
my heart that if I'm sincere, the infinite Love Hound Knowledge
Data Base will answer my prayers and save my soul.

The first question involves Shriekback.  I was glad to see the recent
interest in the band on Love Hounds, and I partially agree with the
review of "Go Bang" - although I think the best song on the album
(ie. the one that sounds most like the old Shriekback) is "Over
The Wire".  Anyways, there seems to be some confusion in getting to
the heart of the Shriekback Crisis.  Granted, Dave Allen's departure
(real or otherwise) is significant, but the really important question
remains unanswered.  And without that answer, life has lost much of
its meaning for many of us.  What happened to Carl Marsh?  It was his
departure (which is all too real), that started the demise of the
band.  He only played on half of "Oil and Gold", and consequently
it was only half as good as "Care" and "Jam Science".  From there,
things just got worse.  I've never heard "Tench" either, but I'd
kill to get a copy.

The second question is a more current issue.  I've survived for
years without Carl Marsh, but the anticipation of the new THE THE
album is killing me!  When is it going to be released?  I've heard
that Johnnie Marr is working with Matt - is anyone else?  I pray
each and every day that Matt doesn't let Marr, or anyone else, have
any input at all into the project.  After INFECTED (the best LP of
the decade), any outside influence would be detrimental.  Is he
going to tour?  Will there be another album video?  Is there a
Jools Holland piano solo on the album?  Is Matt really going to
uphold his promise : "the more successful I get, the more obscene
I'll get"?  Help!  I need answers!

There's a philosophy,
Don't mean a lot to me,
The value of anything