Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

the 1989 hot 100 as voted by JJJ listeners

From: gregr@basser.oz (Greg Ryan)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 89 20:32:20 EST
Subject: the 1989 hot 100 as voted by JJJ listeners
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Some background...

2JJJ-FM is a government run (ABC which is akin to the BBC) station
broadcasting in Sydney and about to go national in Australia.
They are probably the most progressive station in Sydney, if not
the whole of Australia.  Recently they held a listeners poll, requesting
people to send in a list of their top 10 songs of all time.

This list was collated (one "vote" per appearance in a top 10) and
from this they compiled the Hot 100, which they broadcast on Sunday
March 5 of this year.

Only two of my top 10 made the list and I was pleasantly surprised by
much of the list, particularly the Australian content.  I guess being
an original listener of this station since their inception fourteen
years ago I should expect that my tastes don't quite fit the JJJ
"mainstream".  As far as I can tell most of my contemporaries have
switched to "Greatest memories, latest hits" or staight top 40
stations.

Needless to say, the list is interesting and the taste of Triple J
listeners is impeccable.  I posted this just for the general interest
of this newsgroup.  Apparently some 8,536 songs were included in the
combined lists, so the hot 100 is reasonably representative.

To get you to read to the end of this article and to maintain some
suspense the following are presented in reverse order of popularity

100	The mercy seat				Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
99	Cicada that ate Five Dock		Outline
98	Man overboard				Do Re Mi
97	Say goodbye				Hunters and Collectors
96	Oh Superman				Laurie Anderson
95	Khe Sahn				Cold Chisel
94	Heart of glass				Blondie
93	Slave girl				Lime Spiders
92	I say a little prayer			Aretha Franklin
91	Suspicious minds			Elvis Presley
90	Eagle rock				Daddy Cool
89	Bye bye pride				Go Betweens
88	Power and the passion			Midnight Oil
87	Down in the tube station at midnight	The Jam
86	Riders on the storm			The Doors
85	The message				Grandmaster Flash
84	Burning down the house			Talking Heads
83	The slab				Hunters and Collectors
82	Golden brown				The Stranglers
81	Making plans for Nigel			XTC
80	Blue bell knoll				Cocteau Twins
79	My island home				Warumpi Band
78	Ghost ships				The Saints
77	Walk on the wild side			Lou Reed
76	Layla					Derek and the Dominos
75	Going underground			The Jam
74	Duel					Propaganda
73	Watching the detectives			Elvis Costello
72	Bachelor kisses				Go Betweens
71	Pump it up				Elvis Costello
70	Deanna					Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
69	A day in the life			The Beatles
68	Wide open road				The Triffids
67	Bizzare love triangle			New Order
66	Close to me				The Cure
65	Pretty vacant				Sex Pistols
64	There is a light...			The Smiths
63	Sympathy for the devil			The Rolling Stones
62	Sexual healing				Marvin Gaye
61	Buffalo stance				Neneh Cherry
60	Forbidden colours			Ryiuchi Sakamoto & David Sylvian
59	Moments in love				Art of Noise
58	I want you				Elvis Costello
57	Wedding Cake Island			Midnight Oil
56	Alone with you				Sunnyboys
55	Marquee moon				Television
54	The cutter				Echo and the Bunnymen
53	God save the queen			Sex Pistols
52	Teardrops				Womack and Womack
51	(I'm) Stranded				The Saints
50	The end					The Doors
49	All along the watchtower		Jimi Hendrix
48	Orinoco flow				Enya
47	Lust for life				Iggy Pop
46	Blister in the sun			Violent Femmes
45	The one I love				R.E.M.
44	Smash it up				The Damned
43	Wuthering heights			Kate Bush
42	Unguarded moment			The Church
41	Troy					Sinead O'Connor
40	L.A. woman				The Doors
39	Heroes					David Bowie
38	Greetings to the new brunette		Billy Bragg
37	Sign 'o' the times			Prince
36	Love song				Simple Minds
35	She sells sanctuary			The Cult
34	Kiss					Prince
33	Wish you were here			Pink Floyd
32	Psycho killer				Talking Heads
31	Imagine					John Lennon
30	Stairway to Heaven			Led Zeppelin
29	Boys don't cry				The Cure
28	Know your product			The Saints
27	Bigmouth strikes again			The Smiths
26	Another girl, another planet		The Only Ones
25	Average inadequacy			Machinations
24	Kiss					Art of Noise and Tom Jones
23	Aloha Steve and Danno			Radio Birdman
22	It's the end of the world as we know it	R.E.M
21	Respect					Aretha Franklin
20	Waiting for the great leap forwards	Billy Bragg
19	Primary					The Cure
18	London calling				The Clash
17	Anarchy in the U.K.			Sex Pistols
16	Alison					Elvis Costello
15	Song to the siren			This Mortal Coil
14	Rock lobster				B52's
13	This charming man			The Smiths
12	Shivers					Boys Next Door
11	Cattle and cane				Go Betweens
10	A forest				The Cure
9	Birthday				The Sugarcubes
8	Talking to a stranger			Hunters and Collectors
7	How soon is now?			The Smiths
6	Holiday in Cambodia			Dead Kennedys
5	Blue Monday				New Order
4	That's entertainment			The Jam
3	Uncertain Smile				The The
2	Throw your arms around me		Hunters and Collectors
1	Love will tear us apart			Joy Division