Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mailbag

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 89 15:32 PST
Subject: Mailbag

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED0DXM)

 >Firstly, the quality (of the CD) seems to be a little disappointing in
 >comparison to "The Dreaming" or "Hounds of Love". Has anyone else
 >noticed this problem, or did I just get a lemon?

     You mean all the tracks on your _TWS_ sound worse than
their equivalents from all the individual CDs? Perhaps Jon Drukman
can explain; IED seems to recall that Jon had done a bit of comparative
listening earlier. It may depend upon whether you have the U.S.
or the U.K. pressing. Also, remember that only _TD_ was recorded
digitally (at least in part) from the outset. _HoL_ marked a return
to wholly analog recording for Kate--and you can be pretty sure
that KBVI will be analog, too, since Kate preferred it (at least
as of ca. 1984), and since her own home studio is all-analog.

 >How far up the charts did "Experiment IV" get ? (in the U.K.)

     It got to number 23 in the BMRC charts in England, though
IED seems to recall that it reached much higher than that in
one or two of the music-weeklies' own charts.

 >Someone told me that the helicopter effect from Pink Floyd "The Wall" was
 >later utilized by KB.......if this is true, what song was that ?

     On _HoL_'s liner-notes, following the lyrics of _Waking_the_Witch_,
are the words "Helicopter courtesy of Pink Floyd _The_Wall_". Kate
had already used a helicopter sound (produced on her own in the studio,
by what means IED has not determined) on the track _Pull_Out_the_Pin_,
and she used still another helicopter-like sound on _Experiment_IV_.

 >...I, and I suspect a
 >lot of others, would appreciate it if you kept the stuff of general interst
 >in separate articles from the stuff that is mainly of interest to those you
 >are running detailed discussions (or flames, as they sometimes end up) with
 >just a few Love-Hounds readers.  That way, if we get tired of reading about
 >Reich or whatever, we can skip the articles on those topics without missing
 >the numerous articles of yours that are truly of interest to most of us.
 >
 >-- Steve Schonberger

     It's nice to know that at least some of IED's contributions to L-Hs
are appreciated. Your proposal that IED separate the wheat from the chaff
is a tall order. It's understandable that some (perhaps most) L-Hs
would rather not have to wade through the periodic bogs of tedious
speechifying which punctuate IED's otherwise news- and info-filled
postings about Kate. But he would submit that his efforts on behalf of
L-Hs and Kate are great enough to excuse and allow such excesses.
Besides, Love-Hounds' magpies, who wish to flit about, snatching only
the "little bits of gold" which can sometimes be seen glittering beneath
the piles of IED's dusty prose, will surely not suffer all that greatly
from the challenge of pressing their scroll-keys! Come on, people, you
can take it!
     Since L-Hs went back on auto-pilot several weeks ago, IED
has sent along a rather stunningly large body of transcriptions to
the group. In that same period he hasn't encountered _any_
similar contributions from a single other Love-Hound. If and when
a few of you folks decide to follow IED's good-samaritan example,
IED will reconsider his present editorial policies. In the meantime,
he trusts you can adjust.

-- Andrew Marvick