Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: WLIR

From: Gary L Dare <gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 88 16:36:59 EST
Subject: Re: WLIR
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8812172044.AA21573@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> Michael Fischer wrote:
>For whever it was that said he couldn't listen to DRE for too long, if
>you live in Suffolk, you migt try WRCN 103.9, they play everything
>WDRE does, plus lots of classic rock and that type stuff. One thing I
>really missed on WLIR and WXXP and now miss on WDRE, I hear on WRCN...
>Pink Floyd. I've hear Kate on all these stations.

When I wrote that I couldn't listen to WDRE for too long, it was due
to a combination of inane commercials and a restricted repertoire
(i.e., a limited range of tempoes, etc.).  A mix of new music and
classic rock . . . sounds like heaven, or CHOM-FM in Montreal!  (To be
fair, I switch between Q107.1 and CFNY 102.3 in Toronto, and get lots
of both.)

In New York City, WNEW 102.7 dabbles into a lot of stuff along the
outside edges of the "classic rock" domain -- right now, they're
playing the new Midge Ure single "Dear God."  It looks like they find
anyone who's participated in rock charity (e.g., FreedomFest,
Live-Aid, etc.) legit, although they don't touch Marillion.  They had
side I of "Hounds of Love" as one of their "Midnight Perfect Album
Sides" not too long ago.

To be fair, WNEW's been spending more time hawking ex-Allman Bro.
Dickie Betts new stuff than all their new music time combined...

gld
--
 Gary L. Dare                           > gld@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU
 "Free Canada, Trade Mulroney!"         > gld@cunixc.BITNET