Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

WLIR

From: Michael Fischer <MFISCHER%SBCCVM.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 88 15:29:27 EST
Subject: WLIR

I'm glad to see that other people feel the same as I do about WLIR. I
of course knew I wasn't alone, but only knew one other person who
was as big a WLIR fan. Their motto was "WLIR.. The station thadares to
be different. Imagine my surprise when I first drove to Pittsburgh in
the fall of '87 to go to Carnegie Mellon U.. I was flipping through the
stations in the car when we got near Pittsburgh. I hear The Smiths at
100.7. The song ended and they said "WXXP... The station that dares to be
different." I almost died! That helped me feel right at home when I first
moved in there. Then I come home for Christmas and turn on WLIR to hear
Larry and Donna saying "We have about two more hours on the air...". I
almost died again. I have the last 45 minutes or so on tape. Very
sad hour... Then I go to visit CMU this fall of '88. I drive in but can't
find WXXP. I get there and ask a friend who lives in Pittsburgh. He says
I went away for a week in the summer and came back and they were gone!
Amazing...
For whever it was that said he couldn't listen to DRE for too long, if
you live in Suffolk, you migt try WRCN 103.9, they play everything
WDRE does, plus lots of classic rock and that type stuff. One thing I
really missed on WLIR and WXXP and now miss on WDRE, I hear on WRCN...
Pink Floyd. I've hear Kate on all these stations. Well, happy holidays
all.

Mike