Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: sdy@cs.odu.edu
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 88 00:32:08 EST

Thank you.

> This is your introductory form letter:
And what a letter it is!

> You are now on the love-hounds mailing list!  To mail to the mailing
> list, send to "Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU" (EDDIE.MIT.EDU is also the
> uucp site "mit-eddie.UUCP").  Administrivia should go to
> "Love-Hounds-Request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU".

This is the address that messages bounch off of to get into the News group-
so my question is-- what mailing list have I been added to?  I have not
received anything FROM this address.  ?

>			"We let the weirdness in"
>			 Doug
Well, without getting too involved-- "sometime you just have to!"
(Oh, and I WON'T take that personally...)

>                  (C) Copyright 1985 by Doug Alan.  All rights reserved.
>			   'THAT CLOUD LOOKS LIKE IRELAND':
>			LOOKING AT THE BIG SKY WITH KATE BUSH
>                              An interview by Doug Alan
Is this available for the public..... or do I have to resort to a bootleg?

>P.S.  Here is an interview I did with Kate Bush when I was young and STUPID:

You seemed to have backed her into a corner a few times.... strange.
STUPID? I  wouldn't go quite that far.  I learned from this interview.
See below.....

>               [I try to think of a witty reply, but my has brain has long
>          since ceased functioning, and instead I just mumble something
>          incoherent again.  Kate makes an obscene throat-clearing noise --
>          a noise probably only possible for a smoker.

Kate makes obscene noises?  (comparing to her music....)
Amazing,
Totally amazing.
Exactly what was this noise?  I have heard a few strange comments when people
 hear her 'normal' voice in an interview.

>               I guess that to those whom she reaches, she touches deeply.
 [..]
>          and infinite pleasure.  A mirror for all that is important in
>          life.  Life itself!

  I like that way that was said.  Also, top 40 makes me sick. Even more so now.

>          KATE: Yes, I would deny it.
>          DOUG: You would?
>          KATE: Yes, it's very much a song about bank robbery.  I wouldn't
>               say it was a simple song about bank robbery, but it's about
>               the fear that people feel rather than the glorification of
>               bank robbers.

You didn't say when (year... etc) this interview took place.  This information
is on the ONE (bootleg???) interview disk I have.  :)

>          DOUG: "My Lagan Love" [the bonus track on Kate's "Cloudbusting"
 [..]
>               he will return again "when the sun and the moon meet on yon
>               hill," [Kate smiles] or whatever.  Could you say more about
>               this song?

Do you think she ever gets tired of talking to people and especially
interviewers?  I read the paragraph following this and I just got the
impression that she would talk about her feelings and ideas, but that she
wouldn't talk much about recording/technical/producing things.  Do you
feel the same way, or am I missing something?

>          KATE: Yes, "My Lagan Love" is a traditional song that is one of
>               the most beautiful tunes I think exists in traditional
 [..]
>               didn't come off the album.  And it seemed like a quick, easy
>               track to do, that would be unaccompanied -- a traditional
>               song.
>          DOUG: Did you agree with that meaning of the song, or what was
 [..]
>          KATE: I think the lyrics are really just a vehicle for the song.
>               I wanted to do the song and it had no traditional lyrics.
>               We had to find some to go with it, so we pulled together
>               some lyrics with my brothers and just put them to the music.
>               It wasn't something that I put a great deal of thought into
>               at all.  [Tiny laugh.]

Tiny laugh?  Just how much is not a 'great deal' anyway?  none? (no....)

>          DOUG: Okay.
She didn't want to talk about it?  Did you get that impression?

>               [It turns out that John Carder Bush, Kate's oldest brother,
>          wrote the lyrics Kate sings to "My Lagan Love".  When I talked to

I have wondered about this before.  Not that I want to cry 'foul' or anything
like that, I just wonder where credit should be given.  Since I don't have a
copy of this song/album I can't look at any credits....
Kate seems to have so many things under control  (referring to you long list
of personal attributes...) -- but it seems to me that she never wants to talk
about much.

>          DOUG: "Burning Bridge", the other song on your [Kate makes
>               another obscene throat clearing noise] "Cloudbusting"

*** WHY DOES SHE HAVE TO SMOKE ***
[Personal comments withheld]

>          DOUG: Okay. [Tiny laugh.]
>          KATE: [Tiny laugh.]

"Very!  But I won't say anything." to quote.... uh.... uh....

>          KATE: I haven't changed my mind about having children, no.  But
 [..]

Yes, I mean no.... but what about abortion?  (to press an issue...) Has she
ever expressed an opinion in this area.  It really doesn't matter to me
WHAT the opinion is... I just wonder why she reacts this way.

>          DOUG: Sure hope so!  [Wait.... I didn't mean to say that that
>               way....]

You meant well.... I will buy the album... .just to help!

>          DOUG: Your song "Breathing" seems to be written from the point of
 [..]
>               vegetarian, that you would be opposed to abortion.  What are
>               you feelings on the morality and legality of abortion?

Here we go again....

>          KATE: I think that is a very difficult subject and something
>               that's far too easy to generalize about.  But I think that
>               life is something that should be respected and honored even
>               in a few hours of its conception.
>          DOUG: Do you think that abortion should be illegal?
>          KATE: I don't feel that I want to comment on that.

Interesting progression.  Does anyone have anything to add to this?

>          DOUG: But why not "three steps"?  [Giggle.]

She's corrupting you....

>         DOUG:  Okay.  [Grin.]

My tape recorder doesn't pick up facial expressions.... (joke, ok?)
(I guess a recorded interview can only be close to the real thing...)

>          KATE: My brother [Paddy Bush] discovered a piece of music that
Again?

>          DOUG: Did you write the poem that is narrated at the end of "Jig
>               Of Life"?
>          KATE: No, I didn't.  My brother [John Carder Bush] wrote that.
Again?

>          DOUG: That's what some of us thought.  It seemed like a slightly
 [..]
>                    It's a really wonderful poem.
It 'makes' the song.

STOP IT!  STOP IT! -------------------------/

>                    Then a man tries to enter her life again, but she's too

Interesting...
What was the song about the house keeper?  She hasn't changed her mind about
having an ANKLE BITER or RUG RAT, but has someone been prodding?  And now
we move on to camels....

I think the interview changes after this point.... her 'attitude' seems
different.  It almost appears that she IS losing interest-- and that she
has told herself.... 'Enough with THIS interview'

Does anyone else get this impression?  Not necessarily limited to this
interview, but with any interview you have heard?

>          KATE: And what was your friend's criticism?
>[DOUG]           ["You want my reply?  What was the question?"  Oh dear, I've
>                   bored Kate to death....]
>          KATE: What does he mean?
>          KATE: Why?  [In an intrigued tone of voice.]
Who's interviewing.....

>          DOUG: Oh... well...  [Doug turns eight shades of red...] mules
 [..]
Is she leading you?

>          KATE: Right!  [Little laugh.] Well, uh, [in an amused and puzzled
>               tone of voice] I think you... it's kind of weird the level
She had her fun...

>          KATE: Yes, I think the mule is that kind of... the stupid
(refer to self criticism of interviewer...)

>               eeyore [Kate makes convincing eeyore sounds].
For some reason, I believe you.  I really would like to HEAR this.

>          DOUG: In a recent interview you said "I don't really know why
 [..]
>               was said by the same person who sings "We let the weirdness
>               in" at the end of the song "Leave It Open".  In any case,
>               what is really strange about the singing at the end of
>               "Leave It Open", is that if you play it backwards, it also
>               sounds like intelligible singing.  In fact, it sounds to me
>               like "And they said they wouldn't let me in", which is
>               wonderful because then it has the opposite meaning backwards
>               as it does forwards.
 [..]
>               several times.  And if you play this backwards, it sounds
>               backwards.  Well, the question is, I'd be really interested
>               in knowing how you did this sort of manipulation.

Her songs may be considered weird by some people-- but I enjoy them because
she doesn't have a 'canned' sound.  She also doesn't sound the same in EVERY
SONG like many 'artists' today.  Even a pop or commercial song from her
would be a new twist (or style/sound).  I also find it hard listening to
a different female singer.... I have to keep telling myself that what I am
hearing is a different style or it just sounds flat.

>          KATE: Well, that's something I've been experimenting with for a
 [..]
>          DOUG: But how do you actually get a message or singing which
 [..]
>          KATE: It is.  It's very difficult -- it takes a lot of time and
 [..]
>          door, and my half hour is up.  I talked to both of Kate's
>          brothers sometime later, however, and neither had any qualms
>          about giving away the secret of the two-way messages.  It
 [..]

Obviously she knew that.  SHE SINGS IT.  Why couldn't she tell you what it
involved.... she sid that it is "very difficult" so she definitely COULD
answer your question... if she wanted to.  I find her interviews intriguing
in this way.  It is almost like she decides on what questions to answer, or
maybe there is a turning point (as I suggested above) where she just has a
little fun and enjoys the interview.
On the CD interview I have she keeps doing one of two things-- she will give
short answers, merely relying on the interviewer to provoke her or she
will go off and talk about something that seems totally un-related to the
question that was asked.  Again, this takes place after a certain time....

>               In any case, Kate agrees to answer a couple more
>          questions....]
sure.  Like an encore these days.  (How many?  12??? really, so-and-so only
gave 11...)

>          DOUG: Of your albums, which one is your favorite?
I've heard this question asked before.

>          KATE: Ummm...  I think the last album you do is always the one
>               that's closest to you because you've just spent the nearest
[..]

And this is the answer that I have heard.  At least she is consistant in that
respect.

>          DOUG: Before we end the interview, one more quick question --
>               what do you feed your cats?
DOUG?????????

>          KATE: Ummm... food, normally.
Now she is confused. (?)

>          DOUG: What kind of food?
>          KATE: Tinned food... and fish.  Fiiiishy wiiiishy!
I LOVE IT!  IS THIS ON TAPE????  SERIOUSLY?  IS THIS AVAILABLE?

>               [Very!  But I won't say anything.
Go ahead.  It just makes me wonder.... even more.

Sorry for the extremely long post.  I just received the introductory
interview 'form' letter and I spent some time reading it.

  | Scott D. Yelich                           sun!xanth!sdy   sdy@cs.odu.edu |
  | Old Dominion University            sdy@xanth.cs.odu.edu   sdy@xanth.UUCP |
  | Norfolk, VA 23529-0612                                      [128.82.8.1] |