Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

random stuff

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 88 12:35:34 EST
Subject: random stuff

From: uiucdcs!uiucuxc!rtmvax!nrc@uunet.UU.NET (Richard Caldwell)
> How about _Christmas_Will_Be_Magic_Again_ (is that the correct title?) ?

It's actually _December Will Be Magic Again_ and the original single
of it is rare.  Fortunately for the world, it was re-released as the
second B-side to "Experiment IV" - the 12" remix version.  So, go buy
that and you get the remix of "Exp. IV" plus the new vocal version of
"Wuthering Heights" and "December" all in one neat package.

> Images that stick in my mind...

> Kate in pilot's helmut and bomber jacket at the very end of the _Wow_
> video (from the TWS version).

I should point out that that clip (and in fact all the clips in that
particular video) are taken from the "Live at Hammersmith Odeon"
video, and the bomber jacket costume is from her live rendition of
"Oh England, My Lionheart".

> "The night doesn't like it" from _Night_of_the_Swallow_ .
>     (How *does* she do that?  Is that all her voice or was that
>      electronically touched up? )

That's all real, although there's probably _some_ sort of electronic
effecting on it.  I doubt that it is artificially induced distortion.
Drink a lot of milk before singing (or acting) - it coats your vocal
chords and a) lowers your range slightly and b) makes your voice much
rougher and prone to crack.

> "I am the convierge chez moi honey" from _Get_Out_Of_My_House_ .
>     (What does this mean?  I like to know what I have stuck in there.)

A concierge is a person who lives in an apartment building and acts
as a sort of half-landlord/half-housekeeper.  They watch the entrances,
to make sure no undesirables are getting in and they clean up.  It fits
in really well with the song.  "Chez-moi" is french for "my house" so
the complete sentence is something like "I'm the housekeeper for this house,
honey."

 !   !\             BITNET: jsd@umass
\!on !/rukman      ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
"I think I need some E.S.T. or a trip to the moon..." - Alien Sex Fiend