Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

WDRE/WLIR (was Re: Enya/Sinead)

From: jvnccomm@pilot.njin.net (JvNC Communications Testing)
Date: 15 Dec 88 15:57:57 GMT
Subject: WDRE/WLIR (was Re: Enya/Sinead)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I do agree about the loss of WLIR. Being a L.I. native (born and bred in
Elmont), when I came over the Verrazano Bridge on December 16, 1987, I
immediately tuned to 92.7 and heard for the first time, "Always On My
Mind" by the Pet Shop Boys. I was thrilled. Then I heard them annouce the
song and say this is NOW WDRE!!! I said "What the F**K is going on??"
I was devistated.  In fact, when I got to Mom & Dad's, my mom had clipped
the article out of Newsday for me to read.
It may sound silly but I realized at that point that I could never return
to the same Long Island I grew up in. WLIR was gone, they closed my junior
high school, and the pine tree across the street was chopped down to make
way for another bland-looking house.
I'll be going back up to Long Island on Saturday (for the same reason I did\
on Dec. 16, 1987. It's the annual "Cookie Day" for my family.) I'll tune in
to 92.7 and enjoy, but I know that there is something different.

Regards,
	Brendan

P.S. " 'Hungry Like The Wolf' SHOULD HAVE BEEN WLIR'S SCREAMER OF THE YEAR'"
		- a booster in Sewanhaka High School Totem '83.