Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: 4AD & commercials

From: Julian Cowley <julian@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 88 19:37:46-1000
Subject: Re: 4AD & commercials
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Obviously you haven't been reading the rec.music.* groups, otherwise
you would have seen at least four or five postings regarding the 4AD
mailing list Musica Impact.  Actually, your inquiry about the
commercials would have been better going to the list itself, since one
of the moderator's policies is to only let people that have contributed
to the mailing list stay on the distribution list.  What this means is
that the list is gaining support by posting to the major rec.music
groups, getting a list of people that have even the most minor interest
in 4AD's music, and then taking the list underground, never to be heard
of again by people that might be converts later on.

Personally, I think that this mentality is wrong and is going to make
the list short-lived.  One of the reasons why I like to read Love
Hounds, despite it somewhat less-than-humble pseudo-moderators, is that
it is always available to read, regardless of self-participation.  In
the whole time I've been reading Love Hounds I've only posted about two
or three articles.  This is not to say, however, that the list has not
had its impact upon my listening tastes; on the contrary -- I've since
been turned on to listening to KT, Skinhead, XTC, Thomas Dolby, and
other artists that I have found to be extremely good.  I have only
heard the Cocteau Twins so far--I like them, but I really have nothing
to say about other 4AD music.  Perhaps the Musica Impact mailing list
might give me the chance to find out.

Hopefully the moderator of Musica Impact will realize his folly and will
open the mailing list to people who just might have an open mind at one
point in time or another.

julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
uunet!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!julian
julian@uhccux.bitnet