Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: more on Clannad

From: raspail!steve@shamash.cdc.com (Steve Schonberger)
Date: 5 Dec 88 21:25:51 GMT
Subject: Re: more on Clannad
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8812040715.AA16613@uunet.UU.NET>, sco!jamescb@uunet.UU.NET (James Bohem) writes:
> In article <8811291632.AA02287@iros1.iro.umontreal.CA> Justin Bur <justin@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
> >_Sirius_ and _Macalla_ are the only two Clannad records to have
> >been released in North America.  Before that, they did _Legend_
> >(music from the TV series Robin of Sherwood) and _Magical Ring_
> >on RCA records in the UK.  Their earlier releases are on a small
> >Irish label, Tara records.
> I've seen all 4 at Tower Records at one point or another - any comments
> or reviews on the 2 imports? Are they available on CD (avoiding vinyl
> wherever possible :-) ??

I think I have seen domestic LPs of the earlier albums.  If they were
not domestic, they were imports at domestic prices.  I have not seen the
CD versions of any of the older material, but I think a couple of stores
I have talked to have said they are available.  Since import CDs are so
painfully expensive, I haven't ordered them, and I haven't seen them in
stores, so I don't know if their claimed availability is true.

When I saw Clannad in concert, they played quite a bit of material from
_Legend_, which some better informed fans there told me was their best
album.  They also said that _Macalla_ was a far better album than _Sirius_
(an opinion I share), and that _Legend_ is similar to the material on
_Macalla_ that isn't similar to the material on _Sirius_.  Sorry for the
convoluted comparisons.  All that was announced as being from _Legend_
was wonderful.

The concert was quite a show.  They didn't play nearly as much material
from _Sirius_ as older material, though I guess they probably played most
of what was on it.  They seemed to be interested in pleasing the people
who liked them before they got well known, or perhaps promoting their
older material to those who came because they liked _Sirius_.  Their
stage presence was incredible -- they really seemed at home on stage,
particularly compared to the other two concerts I saw around the same
time period, Sinead O'Connor and Pink Floyd.  (Sinead played perfectly,
but still looked like a scared young girl on stage, which I don't blame
her for, since she is young and new to touring.  Scared or not, she was
still wonderful.  Pink Floyd played pretty much perfectly, and had a
light show that would impress Darth Vader, but the show didn't seem at
all spontaneous [megabuck lasers don't shine on whims...], and altitude
and distance prevented seeing anything like facial expressions.  Clannad
was at ease with the crowd, and played to it well.)

Anyway, I ramble.

	Steve Schonberger
	steve@raspail.uucp	raspail!steve@shamash.cdc.com
	...!uunet!rosevax!shamash!rapail!steve