Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mission of Burma, Feelies, Gaffa

From: hocad!cjs@ULYSSES.ATT.COM
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 88 15:35 EDT
Subject: Mission of Burma, Feelies, Gaffa
Posted-Date: Mon, 3 Oct 88 15:35 EDT

I just picked up the Ryco "Steal This Disk II" and started to get
curious about a few of the bands on the disk, mainly Mission of Burma
and The Residents.  I've seen some comments on the Residents over the
last few monthes but I don't recall any info on MofB.  Does anyone
have any recommendations/comments for either of these bands?  By the
way for $5.99, I highly recommend the Ryco disk.  Where else can you
get a wide variety of music to listen to for such a low and *SAFE*
cost? Besides, if you have FTS on your CD player, you can program out
those unbearable tracks.  Funny.  I haven't used FTS on any KB CD's.

Also, just a passing note to add the gaffa debate.  After hearing many
of the tracks on the Married to the Mob Soundtrack, I finally decided
to go to see the movie (stick to the soundtrack).  Anyway, I noticed
in the closing credits that they made reference to a video gaffer and
a gaffer...Since I was leaving the theater, it passed by to quickly to
see exactly what/whom they were referring to.

      [	A "gaffer" is a lighting electrician on a motion-picture or
	television set.  Thus, you will see a credit for a "gaffer" at
	the end of nearly any movie.  "Gaffa", or "gaffer's tape"
	is also known as "duct tape" and is commonly used to tape down
	wires before filming a movie, putting on a concert, or
	recording an album.  -- |>oug ]

Oh- And talking about the soundtrack... I just went to see the Feelies
in concert last week.  They are a fun "headbanging" band.  My largest
complaint is that, in concert, their vocals are impossible to
understand and almost non-existant.  But the percussionists shine in
live productions.  It's amazing these guys don't wear out.  They
played for almost 2 hours to a very small crowd.  (Not their fault.
It's a new place for progressive music and it was a thursday night).
As far as their recordings go: in the "Good Earth" the vocals are
muddy but not as bad as what I've heard in concert.  And after seeing
them live, the percussion track is disappointing.  But, it's a good
album with lots of energy.  I haven't picked up the new album, but
from what I've heard on the radio, the vocal track is not as muddy as
"GE"....And, thank goodness, the band hasn't lost any of thier energy.
The opening band for the feelies was Piece of Wood.  Piece of Wood did
a bit called "the man who dug his way to china" which was almost a new
music cantata.  They had lots of video equipment and special effects
for their s how.  Pretty impressive show.

-- cjs
{your favorite backbone!ulysses!hocad!cjs}

"Search for convictions
 through thousands of eyes (???)
 Feeling so restless, so empty inside.
 Plenty of chances.