Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Review of "ANSWERS"

From: Kari Haug <haug%si.uninett%NORUNIX.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Date: 22 Sep 88 10:21 +0100
Subject: Review of "ANSWERS"
Posted-Date: 22 Sep 88 10:21 +0100
Return-Receipt-To: Kari Haug <haug%si.uninett%norunix.BITNET@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>

Oh, after five days of intense "hunting" around the record stores in
Oslo, I finally managed to get a copy of Midge Ure's new album,
"ANSWERS", on import last Friday, and it was released in England last
Monday, so that was pretty quick. I'm almost sure that I was the first
person to buy it here in Norway. So, what do I think of it? Well, what
can I say? It is absolu- tely brilliant and mega-fantastic! Those of
you who share this Midge Ure-mania with me will remember his first
solo-album, "THE GIFT", back in 1985. I was of course mad about that
album, I almost played it to pieces.  But, that was then, this is now:
The quality of "ANSWERS" is 10 times better than "THE GIFT". The songs
on this new album is so much more powerful and challenging. The music
is fantastic. This album is, of course, VERY Midge Ure, if you know
what I mean, like about 40 different keyboards and 10 different
guitars on each song (a little exaggeration doesn't hurt, ahem...).
His voice cannot be described with words, the nearest I can come to a
description is MEGABRILLIANTSUPERFANTASTICWONDERFUL. I guess I've
managed to tell all Love-Hounds about that one of the songs on the
album is a duet with Kate Bush, and by now all of you have probably
read my review of that song, "SISTER AND BROTHER", for some reason
that review reached the Love-Hounds digest much too late (not MY
fault). Maybe some of you have already bought the album just because
of that song? Very clever and smart thing to do, because you're
probably going to love the rest of "ANSWERS" as well. And now, THE
LYRICS. I read all the lyrics before I listened to the album, and I
was really impressed. Midge Ure doesn't only write very good music, he
also writes some very good lyrics. Some of the lyrics are very
sentimental, bitter, melancholic, it seems like he has experienced
what he's singing about. Me and some friends have discussed those
lyrics and we think that maybe he's had some trouble in his marriage
or something like that. DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF ANNABELLE GILES (his
wife) HAS LEFT HIM??? (I'm serious about this, so please, please,
please tell me if you know something). For those of you who have the
album, the lyrics in question are : THE LEAVING (SO LONG), JUST FOR
YOU, LIED and HOMELANDS.

So, all of you rush out and buy "ANSWERS" and enjoy 45 minutes of truly
wonderful music.

-- Kari -- (I'm in 7th Heaven! If Annabelle Giles really has left Midge
            Ure, she has no IQ at all, then she must be the biggest
            idiot that was ever born)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!