Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More on "There Goes a Tenner" (a LOT more!)

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 88 23:40 PDT
Subject: More on "There Goes a Tenner" (a LOT more!)

 > There's a universally held principle that if you have two theories,
 > and all the evidence is explained by the two theories, the simpler
 > of the two theories is to be prefered.  This principle is known as
 > Occam's razor.  With regard to "There Goes A Tenner", we have two
 > theories: mine and IED's.  Mine is significantly simpler, and
 > explains everything.  Furthermore, IED's is flawed.  Let's go over
 > them again

     1. Though such a theory may be "universally accepted" in some
cases, it is particularly unsuited to the intepretation of the works
of Kate Bush. There are innumerable instances in her work where the
"simplest" explanation is not adequate. Doug himself has often taken
advantage of that fact to generate a large number of improbably
complex (and sometimes unfounded) theories about some of her songs.
     2. Certainly, IED 's interpretation of the storyline in "TGaT" is
flawed. He is the first to admit this. However, he must say that
Doug's own interpretation does _not_ "explain everything", at least
not to this fan's satisfaction. And it should be added that although
IED's reading is flawed, Doug's summary of IED's theory is inaccurate.
This is really not Doug's fault. It's been a while since IED first
suggested his view of the story. Also, at that time IED had not yet
come to any firm reading of the song's story, and he was imprecise in
his initial summary of it.  Since that time IED has read and listened
to Kate's own words about the meaning of the song. As a result, his
current understanding incorporates a part of Doug's interpretation,
and rejects another part.

 > IED's theory is certainly more complicated.  In addition to this, it
 > has several flaws.  Even if it had no flaws, my theory would be
 > preferable, because of its simplicity, but combined with the flawed
 > nature of IED's theory, the issue should be clear.

     Doug's comment above is patently illogical. The deciding factor
in determining the preferability of one theory over another is not
their relative "simplicity", but the _seriousness_ and _number_ of
flaws each contains. IED will demonstrate below the seriousness and
number of flaws in both his own and Doug's interpretations of "TGaT".

 > My theory says that all of the song takes place in the present,
 > except at the end, beginning with "Ooh I remember".  Everything
 > after this is a reverie of better times, when the burglars lived
 > rich off of their ill-gotten gains.  Sometime in the past, Kate and
 > her bank-robber lover had pulled off a successful heist and they
 > celebrated their success by tossing their money in the air and
 > watching it float in the breeze.  Kate daydreams about the way
 > things use to be, while in the present she is probably being
 > shackled and photographed by the police.

     As current Love-Hounds will know, IED recently suffered a loss of
face in this forum over the issue of the meaning of the word (for it
seems that it is a word) "Gaffa". You will all remember that it was
through the publication of Kate's own remarks on that subject that IED
was proved wrong.
     One result of that debacle seems to be manifesting itself now, in
the form of a new campaign against another of IED's ideas about Kate's
work. This time Doug is exceptionally self-confident -- even for Doug
-- and in presenting his view of his and IED's respective
interpretations of "TGaT" he surpasses himself in zeal and dogmatism.
     Alas! this turn of events seems to have led Doug into much the
same trap that foiled his recent forensic opponent. It should
therefore be understandable to all that IED takes a certain amount of
righteous pleasure in performing the following task of exposition.
     In order to facilitate the expression of all these picky little
points (and they've never been pickier, IED warns all), IED has asked
(and received) permission from Love-Hound par excellence Jon Drukman,
with whom IED has been carrying on (more or less by coincidence) a
discussion about just these aspects of "TGaT". In the following
posting to Jon, IED set forth in as much detail as he could the many
puzzling twists in the song's lyrics and imagery, while simultaneously
trying to address Doug Alan's objections to IED's theory, as well as
IED's problems with Doug's theory. (Please excuse IED's use of the
first person in the following re-print.)