Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "There Goes A Tenner" revisited

From: Richard Caley <rjc%AIPNA.ED.AC.UK@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 88 18:59:22 GMT
Subject: Re: "There Goes A Tenner" revisited
Dragon: Oolong
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Reflection has thrown up from my subconscious that `Strangeways' may
be the prison from the fictional seires ( BBC I think ) ``Within These
Walls'' and not a real one.

I'm now not sure which.

Definitly a womans prison though.

BTW she ( or should that be She ) is definitly in police custody when
she sings `There goes a tenner/ Hey! look . . . ' and so I can't see
the thory that they are floating past havng _Just_ been blown up.

I always thorght she was taking it out of the police either out loud
or in her mind - `the govt. will never find the money'.

Oh no! I've just dissagreed with |>oug and IED. Please, please - no
look, put down the hammer . . . . . . . . . . .

    rjc@uk.ac.ed.aipna    AKA    rjc%uk.ac.ed.aipna@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk

    "Never throw the letter `Q' into a privet bush"
        - Douglas Adams

      [	But Kate's *not* definitely in prison when she says "There
	goes a tenner".  The "Strangeways" reading of "strange ways"
	is probably just a pun -- an allusion to the fact that she
	will soon be in prison.  -- |>oug ]