Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: Mahe Velauthapillai <mvp@MIMSY.UMD.EDU>
Date: 14 Sep 88 16:21:29 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: mimsy.UUCP

In the store the other day, I noticed lots 'o stuff that looked
jumpin,' but, with CD's being high budget, I figured it best to
consult the gurus first.

Though these are generally obscure tunestuffs, I know that tons of you
listen to them.  Could some of you post some reviews?

Colin Newman (of Wire): "It Seems"  What say?  How does it compare to
    "Commercial Suicide" or old (read: better) Colin Newman?
Bill Nelson: "...?..." (newest [double] CD)  Rob Rosen posted a
    review; any others?
Fred Frith: "...Dance...?...Tears"  Fred ranges from superb to, well,
    silly.  Which Fred is this?
The Residents: "God in Three Persons"  A monster band.  Sometimes,
    though, they, too, get silly.  Any good?  Nice cover!
Sparks: "...?..." (brand new CD)  This may be the all-time greatest
    pop/rock band.  (Yup.)  Is this the recent, dance-driven (boring)
    Sparks, or is it classic Sparks?  It is on Rhino Records, which
    means promise.  Also, there is a tune on there called "Madonna;"
    could be wild.

Thanks in advance.

   Tim Snyder
   snyder@guvax.georgetown.edu