Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A pain in the Gaffa!

From: amdcad!neptune.AMD.COM!markl@AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV (Mark Luedtke)
Date: 13 Sep 88 21:41:10 GMT
Subject: Re: A pain in the Gaffa!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

The Random House Dictionary gives an interesting slang definition of
'gaff': "to weather hardship or strain"

The other definitions are an iron hook for handling fish and a spar
used to support the head of a fore-and-aft sail.

I'm trying to follow up on the Japanese definition, but I don't
believe an 'f' is used in the language per se, but there is a related
squigly.  I'll let you know.

I think all the arguments I've heard so far are right, and I'm sure
none of them is exactly what KaTe intented.

Mark Luedtke  markl@neptune.amd.com