Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Delius, etc.

From: Doug Alan <nessus@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 88 18:55:32 EDT
Subject: Delius, etc.
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> From: dhsu@Sun.COM (David Hsu)

> Despite |>oug's remarks, it's well known amongst musicians that
> Delius lived only to provide music historians with an excuse to use
> the word "amanuensis", particularly with reference to Eric Fenby.

I take this to mean that you don't much like Delius's music.  I'm
certainly no expert on it, but Kate once played a one of his pieces on
the radio -- I think it was "To Be Sung of a Summer Night on the
Water" or something like that.  In any case, it was quite haunting.
Also, Ken Russel made a movie about him, so there must be something to
his music...

> Anybody else heard anything about this?  And what was the final deal
> with Kate's North American contract?  Is she still on EMI, or CBS as
> somebody mentioned way back when?  (I wonder if that was another
> April 1st thing).

She's on CBS records now (in the U.S.).