Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

various (is this the right address?)

From: <DICKSON%HARTFORD.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 88 16:36 EST
Subject: various (is this the right address?)
Posted-Date: Sun, 4 Sep 88 16:36 EST

Greetings, and welcome to the first official M00se Illuminati posting
to Love-Hounds, by Pickle.  First a couple comments:

> Comparing Kate's singing style with Suzanne's in this manner is like
> comparing Faulkner's writing style, say, with Hemingway's.  They
> each use different means to acheive the artistic effect they desire.

> --woodstock

I don't think it's necessary to bring up Hemingway in a discussion of art.
More constructively:

> Date: Fri, 5 Aug 88 16:26:49 CDT
> From: haberman@UMN-CS.CS.UMN.EDU (Joe Habermann)
> Subject: Re: Our Ladies Image

> For Sun users, (and those ambitious enough to use the raster bitmap
> conversion programs) there are some compressed Sun rasterfiles bearing
> the cover of The Whole Story available via anonymous ftp to
> antares.cs.umn.edu (128.101.233.1) which include:

(Some pictures listed....)

> Joe Habermann
> haberman@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
> rutgers!meccts!umn-cs!haberman

And another letter on the same topic:

>     I have got several IFF bitmaps (both color and grey-scale)
> digitized from CD and album covers, posters, etc.  Such as the
> picture from "The Whole Story" and the cover of "The Dreaming".  I
> would be more than happy to send you the ones that I have, or if you
> have something particular in mind, I could also digitize your
> prefered pic.  However, being relatively unfamiliar with the network
> and such, what would be the best avenue of communication and trans-
> misson of the files?  If you are interested, please contact me at
> the address at the end of this posting.

(irrelevent text deleted)

>                                             A.J. Fuller

> How to contact me (I hope this is correct...) --------------------------

>   fuller@bgsuvax    -or-   fuller@opie

Okay, I don't know if anything can be done with the Sun pictures.
They are, after all, on a workstation.  Those pictures of A.J.
Fuller's are another story, though.  If they can be converted to GIF,
just about any personal computer in the world can use them.  I won't
bore the Love Hounds with a complete description of the procedure, but
if anybody wants information on sending such files over networks,
contact me.

        Now then.  In response to the discussion in this newsgroup, I
finally went out and bought Sinead O'Connor's disc.  I am suitably
impressed, even though "I Want Your (Hands On Me)" sounds like it was
aimed at eMpTV.  However, she didn't see fit to include lyrics with
it.  Does anybody out there know where the lyrics might be available?

      [	Sinead O'Connor says that her lyrics are deeply personal, and
	she's not going to tell us what they mean.  I guess she's not
	even going to tell us what they are.  -- |>oug ]

        On a side track--O'Connor and Bush are both Irish, I believe
(assault me if I'm wrong.)  I'm curious to know if anybody out there
listens to more traditional Irish and Scottish music; i.e. Silly
Wizard, Relativity, Sileas, etc.  Just wondering.

      [	Sinead O'Connor is Irish, but Kate Bush is not.  She is
	British.  Kate's mother came from Ireland, however.  -- |>oug ]

> Subject: Will this appear in L-Hs without |>oug-/\lan-notations?

IED: While your opinion on this matter is justified in terms of fair
argument procedure and such, it is simply not practical for E-Mail.
The issue of Love Hounds I took your subject from was 65 blocks, over
600 lines long.  The one that followed the next day was over *2200*
lines long, 201 blocks.  And I notice in that issue that |>oug began
putting his comments into the original postings again.  Can you
imagine how big it would have been had he duplicated chunks of text
later on in the issue, replying to them there?  I exceeded my disk
quota with that issue as it was!

> Alternatively we could just have a Love-Hounds vote on the issue of
> the meaning of "Gaffa".  All Love-Hounds, please send me your vote
> from one of the two selections below:

>    (1) |>oug is a psycopathic liar, who is determined to lead
>        everyone astray from the one true meaning of Gaffa so that
>        only he will obtain salvation.

>    (2) IED is caught in the grips of a paronoid delusion, whereby
>        he ignores all evidence, even overwhelming evidence, when
>        it contradicts his narrow, preconceived notions.

Both of these statements are probably true.  I know I'm a psychopathic
liar, and if I didn't ignore all evidence, I'd say I did to annoy
people.  Actually, that was a joke.  I believe that if |>oug and IED
didn't keep up their arguments, Love-Hounds would be far less
interesting.
        On the subject of the tape, |>oug, is this the same stuff we
might call 'duct tape' around here?  That nasty tape with woven string
in it that you can repair anything with?  Just trying to get the
picture right in my head.  "Suspended in Duct" wouldn't have made for
very good lyrics, I suppose..

      [	Yes, Mr. Pickle, gaffer's tape is precisely the same thing as
	duct tape.  Thus, we come to the old philosophical question,
	the "reference" is the same, but is the "sense" the same?  --
	|>oug ]

> Michael Lamoureux
> George Washington University
> School of Eng & App Sci Computing Facility

Hey hey hey!  You get our old pres, SJ Trachtenburg, you poor guy.

>     Following are the Constitution and By-laws of the Wickham
> Street Irregulars (WSI).

If anybody wants the M00se Illuminati charter, contact me.  Too long to
post here.

>  [ Well, it's a good thing that Kate has some Pink Floyd
>    influence because the only bands that come close to Kate in
>    quality are Pink Floyd (with Roger Waters), The Beatles, and
>    The Butthole Surfers.  -- |>oug ]

Personally, I'd replace the Beatles with Talking Heads there (I
imagine I'm going to get attacked for that one, but I won't defend my
position until it happens.)  Never having listened to TBS, I won't
comment.  Anybody listen to Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel?

      [	Sure, I've even had Mr. Foetus beat up the guy standing next
	to me.  He's just not the Buttholes, however.  -- |>oug ]

> P.S.  Suzanne Vega is my hero.  Her first album is definitely in my top 5.
>      Let's bash on Skinhead some more instead.

Last I knew, you were allowed to like S.V. *and* S.O'C. if you wanted
to.  Why bash either one?

Well, that's all.  Please forgive the disjointed, not-too-informative
nature of this posting; I just had four teeth pulled and the drug may
be affecting my brain.

                                                -Pickle
DICKSON@HARTFORD.BITNET