Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

CD Singles (Marillion, U2, Sinead, Eurythmics, etc...)

From: "William M. Bumgarner" <wb1j+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 88 15:59:41 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: CD Singles (Marillion, U2, Sinead, Eurythmics, etc...)
Posted-Date: Mon, 5 Sep 88 15:59:41 -0400 (EDT)

I recently attended a record fair, and picked up quite a few CD
singles (and a few other nice things):

on Marillion...
  "Sugar Mice"; CD single contains the radio edit and extended version
of "Sugar Mice", also contains "Tux On".  Apparently, this CD is very
rare... I asked around, and everyone said it would cost around $50 if
I could find a copy, which was highly unlikely.  I found a copy for
$45.  This version of "Sugar Mice" alone is worth the bucks... about a
1.5 minutes longer, much smoother and more beautiful than the CD/album
version.
  "Incommunicado", CD contains the album and extended versions of
"Incommunicado", and a slightly different mix of "Going Under".  The
EP of "Incommunicado" places emphasis more on guitars than keyboard.
There is also some really neat reverb effects.  There is no mention of
a remix of "Going Under" on the single, but if one listens to "Going
Under" on the CD of _Clutching at Straws_ and then the single of it,
there is an extra guitar part near the end and the single version is a
few seconds longer.
  _Misplaced Childhood_; not a single, but the album.  Beautiful, full
digital (DDD) recording.  The lyrics and music are fantastic, though I
like _Clutching at Straws_ better.  Anyone know if _Clutching at
Straws_ is a digital (DDD) recording?

on Queen...
  _Queen's Greatest Hits_; UK release.  Contains 17 tracks instead of
14...  order is completely different from US release.  Doesn't contain
"Pressure", which is interesting because that song went to no. 1 in
the UK... any ideas?

on Eurythmics...
  found and bought the black pie tin release of "You Have Placed A
Chill In My Heart".  The CD actually comes in a black pie tin.  It
contains a remix and an acoustic version of "Chill in My Heart", album
version of "Do You Want To Break Up?", and a live recording of "Here
Comes the Rain Again".  I also have the silver pie tin release of "I
Need A Man".

on Genesis...
  CD Single containing "Mama" and "Its Gonna Get Better" EP's.  I
haven't been able to find any difference between the album and the EP
version yet (I haven't compared them too closely, though).

on Sinead O'Connor...
  "Mandinka"; contains "Mandinka", Drink before the war", "Mandinka
(instrumental dub)", and "Still Listening".  not much difference
between the album except on the instrumental dub.  It shows a picture
of the cover of _The Lion and the Cobra_ with Sinead facing to the
right and screaming... as I remember it, she was facing the other way
with a calm look and something written on her hand... any ideas??

      [	Sure.  The American version of the cover has been watered down
	to appeal more to the mashed-potatoes that permiate American
	society.  The cover shown on the import single is probably the
	original cover that you can get if you can track down an import
	version of the album.  -- |>oug ]

  "I Want Your (Hands on Me)"; three versions of IWY (HoM) performed
with MC Lyte.  A lot of rap songs.  Dance mix, Street mix, and re mix
versions.  Also contains "Just Call Me Joe".

on U2...
  a package set of three CD singles; "With or Without You", "Where The
Streets Have No Name", and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking
For".  Those are fairly standard album versions of the songs.  The
interesting part about the set is that it contains seven previously
unreleased tracks that were recorded during the Joshua Tree
sessions...  "Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)", "Walk to the Water",
"Race Against Time", "Silver and Gold", "Sweetest Thing", "Spanish
Eyes", and "Deep in The Heart".  All of the tracks are excellent.  The
unreleased material is actually better than the released material...

Other things of interest...
  a lot of vendors were selling new CD's for $10/disc... not cut-outs
or special price CD's, but full list CD's. I picked up _Misplaced
Childhood_ and _Rio_ for $10.  There were a lot of very interesting CD
releases there... I also found a CD only store in Pittsburgh that has
a large stock of singles, specials, hard-to-finds, imports, etc...
they let you listen to the disc before you buy. I'm going to go on a
mission to the place and will report if it is interesting.

reply if you want more info, or have info on any of the above that you
found interesting.

b.bum
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu