Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: WYWM / Hello Earth / German?!?

From: turney@SVAX.CS.CORNELL.EDU (Jenn Turney)
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 12:10:44 EDT
Subject: Re: WYWM / Hello Earth / German?!?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Posted-Date: Fri, 2 Sep 88 12:10:44 EDT

In article <8809011714.AA12018@WONKO.MIT.EDU> you write:

> From: Jamie Andrews <jha%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK>

> Questions:  ((German speakers especially take note!))

> - What is the male voice (Paddy? JC?) saying in German
>  (presumably) right near the end of "Hello Earth"?  It sounds
>  like "Diefel, Diefel, .....; .....sonn licht".  Perhaps this
>  is a quotation from some relevant poem/story?  Anyway it's
>  RIGHT AFTER THAT in "HE" that we get the echo of the hook
>  from WYWM!!!

>      [ Male voice?  The only voice I know of that says anything like
>	this is female (it's not Kate's, however), and it says in
>	German "Deeper, deeper, somewhere in the depths, there is a
>	light."  Then we hear the sonar of the submarine coming to
>	rescue Kate.  -- |>oug ]

>  jha@lfcs.ed.ac.uk
> "See the sun set in the hand of the man"

As far as I can tell, the whispered words are along the lines of:

"Tiefer, tiefer, irgenwo na tiefer, gibt es ein licht."

Which means basically what |>oug says it means (surprisingly?).

	[ Surprisingly?  Why surprisingly?  |>oug wouldn't lead you
	  astray, now would he?  -- |>oug ]

________
  |  |	   Jenn
  |  |	   turney@svax.cs.cornell.edu  |  let us all be born just one more time
| |  |	   Dept. of Computer Science   |  we may yet get it
\_|  |	   Cornell University	       |  right