Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

WYWM / Hello Earth / German?!?

From: Jamie Andrews <jha%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.CS.UCL.AC.UK>
Date: 15 Aug 1988 0927-WET (Monday)
Subject: WYWM / Hello Earth / German?!?
Posted-Date: 15 Aug 1988 0927-WET (Monday)

     I've just become very excited by a new theory about the "Watching
You Without Me" hidden message, which may shed light (so to speak) on
the rest of _The Ninth Wave_ too.  However my enthusiasm is now
tempered by the certainty that someone must have thought of this
before, and probably rejected it.

Questions:  ((German speakers especially take note!))

- What is the male voice (Paddy? JC?) saying in German
  (presumably) right near the end of "Hello Earth"?  It sounds
  like "Diefel, Diefel, .....; .....sonn licht".  Perhaps this
  is a quotation from some relevant poem/story?  Anyway it's
  RIGHT AFTER THAT in "HE" that we get the echo of the hook
  from WYWM!!!

      [ Male voice?  The only voice I know of that says anything like
	this is female (it's not Kate's, however), and it says in
	German "Deeper, deeper, somewhere in the depths, there is a
	light."  Then we hear the sonar of the submarine coming to
	rescue Kate.  -- |>oug ]

- What is the choir singing in "HE"?  This may have some
  relevance as well.

      [	The choir in "Hello Earth" is singing something right out of
	the Werner Herzog movie, "Nasferatu".  I doubt Kate picked it
	for the words.  IED knows more about this.  -- |>oug ]

     When I listen to the hidden words in WYWM now, I'm convinced that
there's a (German? Gaelic?) "ch" sound in them -- in fact I think the
first word ("sonnlicht"?) may be the last word of whatever the German
quotation is.  "Sunlight" is "sonnenlicht" in German, I think, so
maybe it's not "sonnlicht" but "sonnenlicht" or something totally
different... but clearly "sunlight", "light", "Devil" etc. are very
relevant words to the themes of the various songs.

      [	It sounds like it might have been a good theory, but Kate says
	that the secret message begins with the word "Don't" and is
	twelve words long.  If you sort of stretch your imagination,
	you can get the first word to sound like "Don't" in English.
	-- |>oug ]

     This may be just a trick of the ear under the influence of the
German quotation... but my theory now is that the hidden message, the
"HE" quotation, and possibly the choir's words in "HE", are all taken
from some German poem.  If this can be located, surely it will have a
major impact on our understanding of _The Ninth Wave_ as a whole!

blessed be to Kate
--Jamie.
  jha@lfcs.ed.ac.uk
"See the sun set in the hand of the man"