Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

WHAT?

From: Greg Earle <earle@MAHENDO.JPL.NASA.GOV>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 88 02:54:42 PDT
Subject: WHAT?
Posted-Date: Wed, 17 Aug 88 02:54:42 PDT

> In any case, "Numb Companions" is not a previously unreleased
> song.  It is on either *Jesus Egg That Wept* or *Pop Eyes*.

You're right; I just checked and it's on `Pop Eyes'.  But gee, that
plaintive arrangement seems so bizarre that I can't imagine it sounds
just like the `Pop Eyes' version.  Unfortunately, our cartridge is
taking great glee at digging new versions of the grooves in our records
that I can't play it at the moment (the last straw was when it turned my
brand-new copy of the soft piano/light-industrial disk in the 2-LP
Cindytalk `In This World' set to aural Rice Krispies, from beginning to
end!!  Here's this quiet music, almost Eno-esque or Budd-esque, totally
ruined by constant krackles.  After only 3 or 4 listens!  Argghh ...).

> Regarding what Danielle Dax looks like -- you just can't really tell
> from pictures ...

Why not?  The picture from the Janet Long Sessions record is the only
one I've ever seen of her when she hasn't had massive face paint
makeup to hide the real face.  I have many other pictures of her,
including a picture of her during a Lemon Kittens gig, in a live
review that NME did back in 1981.

       [ People never look quite the same in a photo as in real life.
	  -- |>oug ]

> ... until you see her live, which I did a couple months ago.  I'm
> told that this concert is the only concert she has ever done in the
> States, and you MISSED it!

WHAT?!?!  You bastard ... (would have to rub it in, wouldn't you)

I don't understand, why would someone only come to Boston (and not,
say, do New York as well)?  Was it for a festival or some other
special event?  The `only American gigs ever' that Laibach did in L.A.
as Michael Clark's backing music last year was part of a `U.K./L.A.'
Arts festival ...

      [	Danielle Dax's gig was part of a conference on music put on by
	the ICA (Institute for Contemporary Art) in Boston.  She was
	also supposed to play in North Hampton, MA, on the following
        night, but she cancelled that show.  -- |>oug ]

> That was even better than seeing her run around nude in *The Company
> of Wolves*.

When was THAT?!?  Another `Boston-only' event?  Or somewhere else?
England?

      [	*In The Company of Wolves* is a movie.  It's sort of a weird,
	arty, and gory retelling of Little Red Riding Hood.  Danielle
	Dax plays a small but prominent role as a wolf girl.  The
	movie seems to be very popular among Kate Bush fans, because,
	I guess, in spirit it shares a lot in common with Kate's
	music.  -- |>oug ]

> Regarding Suzanne Vega and Sinead O'connor -- they are absolutely
> nothing alike, and certainly don't deserve to be lumped together
> with Jane Sleepberry.

Their musics may not be alike, but I can lump them together because
they all bore the living shit out of me (although Skinhead is by far
the most tolerable of the lot).  That's my only criterion here, good
ol' subjective-as- all-hell Taste.

>P.S.  Does anyone know where I can get a hold of any Lemon
>      Kittens albums (i.e. the group Danielle Dax was in before
>      going solo.)

Hah!  Fat chance ...

The problem there is that almost all their records were put out on
United Dairies Produce, home of Nurse With Wound and other fun stuff.
Which means: limited production, limited distribution, well out of
print.  Your best bet would be to try and find the two Glass/Cherry
Red compilations that they were on ('tis the only Lemon Kittens
product I have, alas).

Here's a Lemon Kittens discography (O.O.P. == Out Of Print):

11/79	Spoonfed & Writhing EP (6 tracks)	Step Forward SF-10
 8/80	We Buy A Hammer For Daddy LP		United Dairies UD-02
 2/81	Cake Beast 12" EP			United Dairies UD-07 (O.O.P.)
 2/81	`Funky 7' on Hoisting the Black Flag LP	United Dairies UD-06 compil.
 8/81	`...In Wooden Brackets' on Perspectives
	and Distortion compilation LP		Cherry Red B RED-15
 ?/81	`What The Cat Brought In' on The
	Wonderful World Of Glass comp. LP	Glass 010
 2/82	Kiddiewinks LP  (exists?)		Illuminated JAM-10

They were also on a few cassette compilations, like `Morrocci Klung!' and
`Snatch Tapes 2' ...

The Glass comp. also has ancient tracks by Marine Girls and Legendary
Pink Dots, as well as Schleimer K and Religious Overdose, who I have
records by.  The Cherry Red, on the other hand, also has early Matt
Johnson (The The), Virgin Prunes, Lol Coxhill, Eyeless In Gaza, Mark
Perry (Alternative T.V.), Thomas Leer, Five or Six, and Robert Fripp,
among others.

Hot damn, this ol' `Volume' book sure comes in handy some times ...

      [	Thanks!  What's a 'Volume'?  -- |>oug ]

Happy hunting ...

	- Greg