Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK.

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 88 10:41 PDT
Subject: MisK.

 > David Gilmour didn't produce any of Kate's albums. He did some
 > early recording with Kate, and he personally funded and was the
 > Executive Producer on the demo tape that landed Kate her record
 > contract. The tape contained three songs: "Maybe", "The Saxophone
 > Song", and "The Man with the Child in his Eyes". (Kate wrote the
 > music and words.) Andrew Powell, I believe, arranged the songs. Two
 > of these three songs were put on Kate's first album (without
 > rerecording).  Another song "Passing Through Air", which was
 > recorded with David Gilmour at his home studio, when Kate was only
 > 15, later appeared as a single B-side.  David Gilmour also
 > performed backing vocals on "Pull Out the Pin", which is on *The
 > Dreaming_. -- |>oug

     All correct, as far as IED knows. Powell's connection with the
final Gilmour three-demo session is confirmed by Peter F.-M. in his
chronology. He also lists Geoff Emerick as engineer. At that time "The
Saxophone Song" was still known as "Berlin".
     One extra note only, for clarification's sake: |>oug mentions
"another" song, "Passing Through Air", recorded when Kate was "15".
Actually she might have been still only 14 during that session. Also,
since that song was recorded before the three tracks of the "MWCIHE"
session, it's not exactly an extra.
     IED believes that there were probably three recordings of "Maybe"
made: the first presumably by Kate alone, at which time the song was
still called "Davy" (possibly in reference to Dave Gilmour, though no
one has ever confirmed this); the second presumably "at Dave's house"
during the same preliminary demo session that produced the recording
of "Passing Through Air" that we all know; and the third for the
"proper" and final three-track demo that actually succeeded in getting
EMI interested. It's also worth mentioning that Kate did not play the
later, more fully produced version of "Maybe" on the air when she
chose to play a snatch of the song once on UK radio. Instead she chose
the second version recorded "when <she> was about fifteen," or at the
time of the "Passing Through Air" session. Does all this seem logical
to you, |>oug? Incidentally, by now both |>oug and IED must know
enough utterly useless Ktrivia to enter and win the quiz-competition
at the next convention. Anyone want to consider forming an American
quiz team? Anyone want to sponsor their trans-Atlantic crossing?

      [	Actually, |>oug was at the pinnacle of his Katrivia ability
	around the time of the '85 KonvenTion, and |>oug didn't win
	that year, so it is unlikely that he'd be able to win now.  If
	only he'd been able to place the lyrics "Between you and me"
	faster...  -- |>oug ]

 >     What is the address of the server containing the complete lyrics of
 > Kate Bush (and other artists)? (Note: I know this question has
 > probably been asked a billion times, but I'm new around here...)
 >     One last redundant question...Anyone have a complete list of all of
 > Kate Bush's albums, singles, and videos? (I would also be interested
 > in what is available on compact disc and if there are different
 > releases over-seas.)
 >
 > -- B.Bum

     IED doesn't know what that address is, but if you want IED's own
editions of the above, give him a valid, normal computer address
(preferably on Bitnet) and he'll send it all off to you.

	[ The lyric server is "lyrics%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu".
	  To get help on how to use it, mail a one line message
	  containing the single word "help", and you will be mailed
	  back help.  Mail sent to this address is read by a computer
	  program -- not a human -- so don't stick in a long dialog
	  about how anxious you are to get ahold of your favorite
	  lyrics...  -- |>oug ]

 >     I have a friend who would like the originals and/or copies of the
 > following rare Kate recordings:
 >
 >  a) Ne T'Enfuis Pas
 >  b) Passing Through Air
 >  c) Warm and Soothing
 >  d) The Empty Bullring
 >  e) Ran Tan Waltz
 >  f) The Handsome Cabin Boy
 >  g) The Burning Bridge
 >  h) Lord of the Reedy River
 >  i) Un Baiser D'Enfant
 >
 > -- Dave White

     Most (if not all?) of the above were put out on a double bootleg
album called _Passing_Through_Air_ about a year and a half ago. Maybe
that would be the cheapest way of getting them all at once, short of
appealing to the generosity of Kate fans...You can still find _PTA_ at
some record meets.
     Otherwise, wait patiently: IED predicts that a CD of Kate's
non-LP tracks -- maybe a double-CD -- will eventually be released,
probably sometime between 1991 and 1994 (i.e., the four-year-plus
period that will certainly follow the end of the KBVI promotion
period: even after putting out a video and a double-album live set
commemorating the Tour of Life II of 1989-90, there will still be a
two-to-three-year lull before KBVII is ready, and EMI will doubtless
see the logic in a b-sides collection around 1992-93, maybe a lot
sooner...)

 > From: Kari Haug <haug%si.uninett@TOR.NTA.NO>
 >     And, remember, KATE will be on this album in some capacity! YEAH!!
 > I'll write a review of it here as soon as I hear it. Wait for it!
 >
 > -- Kari

     Thanks to Kari for her invaluable updates. This means we'll be
getting some new Kate music sooner than anticipated.  (Not to mention
new Midge Ure, whose _The_Gift_ LP was damn good, as long as it's not
compared with anything of Kate's...)
     So Kari, maybe you can tell us what has become of Ultravox?  Any
news on a second post-Cann LP from them? And what of Warren Cann
himself? Has there been any word of a Helden LP, or of anything from
Chris Cross or Billy Currie? And of even more interest, what about a
fifth John Foxx solo-LP?

-- Andrew Marvick