Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

non-seKwiTurs

From: dhsu@SUN.COM (Dave Hsu [Contractor])
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 88 11:04:58 PDT
Subject: non-seKwiTurs

> From: nbc@INFORMATICS.RUTHERFORD.AC.UK
> Date: Thu, 7 Jul 88 18:02:46 bst
> Subject: CDs and Tours

>>> Source : WEEI News Radio - Boston Mass.  Wednesday June 29, 1988
>>>   According to a report on the above mentioned station, "Every
>>> Compact Disc ever made will deteriorate within 8 years."

> The Guardian newspaper reported that Nimbus, the biggest
> manufacturer of CDs in GB, had discovered design faults which could
> cause the aluminium reflector to oxidise and destroy sound
> reproduction.

Bummer.  I suppose we'll just have to wait and see; 4 years and 2 CD
players later, still no casualties.

> ... However, "Maybe Baby" (with Molly R.) has just opened so perhaps
> SHAB is not far behind.

Presumably this is the same film that played here as "For Keeps"?  Ecch.

> From: Beth Freeman <bfreeman@E.MS.UKY.EDU>

> I am trying to find the original soundtrack to the movie BladeRunner
> by Vangelis.  I have been told both that it was never released, and
> that it was released but not in this country, only in Great Britain.
> Does anyone have any info about this, or know how I might contact
> the label under which the soundtrack was produced or even Vangelis
> himself?  I have been looking for the soundtrack for years and have
> had no luck finding it.  Thanks, Beth

Newer net people may wish to note that this is another of the recurring
net questions that crop up every summer, more or less.

The rumor for years now has been that Vangelis, unsatisfied with the
_Blade Runner_ soundtrack, refused to release the original for public
consumption, leaving us to deal with this orchestral arrangement thing.
Last I checked (I think it was late '86) it wasn't available overseas
either.  Another net reader did tell me something about a French release
on cassette that was pulled very early on at Vangelis' insistence, and
supplanted by the orchestral version.  And that's all I know about the
topic.

Oh yeah, another thing.  Has Kate revealed the contents of the
backwards message in WYWM yet?  Can it be that three years of
scholarly effort has left us with only a partial possible solution?

Only three shopping weeks to KaTemas.  Will she give up Kit-Kats and
start watching `thirtysomething'?  Lord only knows.

--
Dave Hsu, braaaaayn thpecialitht		dhsu@sun.com

"I say we just call him Duckbreath.  It's short, it's easy to spell, and
Lord knows it satisfies the soul."	- Cecil Adams, "The Straight Dope"