Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Gripping music, The Whole Story, Sinead ???

From: rutgers!uiucdcs!bradley!bucc2!frodo@WONKO.MIT.EDU (Pete Hartman)
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 88 23:19:15 CDT
Subject: Gripping music, The Whole Story, Sinead ???

It's good to see Love-Hounds back up and running!  4 issues in 2 days
is an all-time record here....thanx |>oug.....  now for a few
comments....

to Jonathan Druckman's comments about no outstanding music this
year...

have you bought the new album by Tracy Chapman???  I wouldn't classify
her as "alternative" in any way, but her music is excellent and her
lyrics gripping.  Her primary emphasis musically is her voice and her
acoustic guitar, but it's too black a style to be saddled with the
"folkie" label.  Her songs are about life in the ghetto and on the
other side of the tracks.

My favorite two songs are "Across the Lines" about a race riot, and
"Behind the Wall":

	Last night I heard the screaming
	Loud voices behind the wall
	Another sleepless night for me
	It won't do no good to call
	The police
	Always come late
	If they come at all
	Last night I heard the screaming
	Then a silence that chilled my soul
	I prayed that I was dreaming
	when I saw the ambulance in the road

not all of the album is nearly so depressing, but it is all
emphatically "GOOD STUFF!"

besides, if rumor is true, Kate is releasing her album in september,
and there's NO WAY that could be bad!

       Philip Verdieck <pv04+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU> writes...

>> (_The_Whole_Story_ doesn't count).

> Don't be so quick to dismiss the whole story...  Experiment IV is
> good,

Personally, I had thought the album pretty much a waste after
discovering that those songs I didn't know were re-releases from
albums I hadn't heard of...I didn't like the album version of
Experiment IV, and if I hadn't seen the video (with the long version)
I never would have bothered to buy the 12".  I'm glad I did, but I
still consider the LP a loss.

> and the remake of Wuthering Heights if FANTASTIC...

really?  maybe my ears are not so discerning as some.  I think I even
played the "new vocal" version back to back with the original and
still noticed no significant difference.  Maybe in only comes out on
CD.

	[ The original vocal and the new vocal are much different.
	  The new vocal is more "soulful" and "mature".  On the
	  original, she wailed and screeched.  The original is
	  much better.  -- |>oug ]

> Also TWS gives us the all important visual directory of her LP's and
> albums

I would say that is the only thing I got from TWS.  Certainly
necessary for my collection, considering I was very uninformed about
what Kate had released, but not really worth $8.  I sold it to a
friend who liked Kate but wasn't so fanatical...

Is there any news of when a new album is expected from Sinead??  Any
good 12" singles with unreleased b-sides like the one on Mandinka??
any news that she is coming back through the midwest (I'm in peoria, but
I'll gladly go to St. Louis or Chicago to see her)???

	[ Well, the 12-inch for "I Want Your (Hands on Me)", has three
	  new versions of the song with rapper MC Lyte rapping along.
	  There is also a live version of some song ("Just Call Me
	  `Joe"?) -- |>oug ]

later days.....
		             ...uiucdcs\
Pete Hartman                 .....ihnp4 >!bradley!frodo
			     ......cepu/
"from flowers in your hair to air-conditioned air,
 Children revoluting to Apple computing
 but you must remember this, if you feel a kiss
 you have to let go, your mind goes YO!"
			-Dr. Calculus from "She's having a Baby"