Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

ALL KATE BUSH CDs WILL SELF-DESTRUCT!!!

From: Vulture of Light <trainor@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 88 06:25:48 PDT
Subject: ALL KATE BUSH CDs WILL SELF-DESTRUCT!!!
Finger-Info: trainor@lanai.cs.ucla.edu

------- Forwarded Usenet Message

Newsgroups: rec.music.misc
Subject: Re: CD Deterioration.

In article <15793@mirror.TMC.COM> jrp@prism.TMC.COM (John R. Petersen) writes:

> Source : WEEI News Radio - Boston Mass.  Wednesday June 29, 1988

>   According to a report on the above mentioned station, "Every
> Compact Disc ever made will deteriorate within 8 years." The report
> stated that "the ink used to label compact discs chemically reacts
> with the plastic and after appox. 8 years will reach the metal
> recorded surface." Also, an undisclosed source was quoted as saying
> that nothing could be done to protect CD's that have not
> deteriorated yet because the reaction is already in progress.

    I've heard additionally that the Church of the SubGenius  is  in-
    volved  --  can  anyone  substatiate this rumor?  Is this another
    plot by Dobbs Labs???  How do the YUPPIES fit  into  the  puzzle?
    Why  is  the  MOTHER  CHURCH concidentally located in Dallas, TX?
    Are the record companies gonna BEND OVER or STAND UP?

    But... there is at least some truth  to  this!   I've  seen  very
    strange  things  happen to copies of Tangerine Dream's soundtrack
    to _Flashpoint_ (on HEAVY METAL RECORDS).   It  self-destructs!!!
    Really  -- buy one and see...  At one store I queried the manager
    about it and we openned and played one of the store  discs.   His
    "super" player with diagnostics wouldn't touch it.  He openned up
    4 copies to no avail.  I wonder if all copies of this  have  gone
    bad now.  You can see the GHOSTLY image of the printing  from the
    bottom.

    Also, *my* copy of _Smell  of  Female_  by  the  Cramps  recently
    self-destructed!!!   It sounded okay when I bought it, and it be-
    came unlistenable.  I just flipped the puppy over  and,  low  and
    BEHOLD,  GHOSTLY  see-through  writing...   Where the printing is
    thick (i.e. fatty letters, etc) there is a visible chemical  AURA
    residue.   One  area  that  has a 2mm wide black stripe has a 2mm
    wide AURA, which means something seriously traveled.   I  thought
    it  was  only $7 (3 years ago) cuz it was only twenty-two minutes
    long, but maybe someone *knew*...

    Maybe it's isolated to the CHEMICALS at certain CD  plants.   The
    _Smell  of  Female_  disc  (New Rose Records) was made in France:
    "FABRIQUE PAR M.P.O.  FRANCE" The _Flashpoint_ CD is also an  im-
    port.  Where was _Flashpoint_ pressed?  We've been told that ZOM-
    BIES rule France.  Wait, that's Belgium...

        douglas

    [][]  trainor@cs.ucla.edu
    [][]  ...!{ihnp4,randvax,rutgers,sch-loki,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!trainor

------- End of Forwarded Usenet Message