Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Colourbox

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 88 18:08:21 EDT
Subject: Colourbox

> Someone asked about Colourbox recently; here's what I know about
> what they've released:

> "Breakdown"  12" b/w "Tarantula"   (version I -- out of print)
> "Breakdown"  12" b/w "Tarantula"   (version II)
> Mini LP (no title but it contains "Keep on Pushin'" and "Nation")
> self titled LP
> self titled LP packaged with extra disk  (Canadian pressing)

This was not just the Canadian pressing - the first 10,000 on 4AD
contained the extra disc.  The CD version (CAD 508 CD) contains side
one of the extra record, but not side two (grrr...)

> "Moon is Blue" 12" b/w  "Keep Me Hangin' On" (*)
> "Punch" 12" b/w ?? plus another version of "Keep on Pushin'" (*)

A Side is a remix of Punch, B side is alternate version of "Keep on
Pushing" plus "Shadows in the Room."  Both quite good.

> "Say You" 12" b/w ?? (*)

The B-side is "Fast Dump" - which is also on side two of the "extra disk".

> "Baby I Love You So" 12" b/w "Looks Like We're Shy One Horse" + ??

The "second" B-side is called "Shootout", although it's actually part of
"Looks Like We're Shy One Horse" - it's when it starts to get slow and
flute-ish sounding.

> "The Official Colourbox World Cup Theme"  12" b/w second version of
>    the same + "Philip Glass"

There are two compact discs available, both on 4AD, both very
expensive.  Neither has a title, so I refer to them by their catalog
numbers.  The first is CAD 508 CD, and is all of the LP, plus side one
of the extra disk.  The cover is the same.  CD #2 is MAD 315 CD and
has the "horses fucking" picture (from the "Shotgun" 12").  It is a
collection of 12" singles and B-sides.  It has the following tracks:
World Cup Theme 12", Baby I Love You So 12", Looks Like We're Shy One
Horse/Shootout, Shotgun, Keep On Pushing, Nation, Justice, Breakdown
12".

The only other thing I know of is a flexy disc from a magazine (I
forget which - Peter Lee knows) with a very alternative version of
"Manic".  Concerning the 7" singles, they usually have radically
different versions of the songs than the 12" ones.  The only song that
is completely unavailble except in 7" form (that I know of) is "Baby I
Love You So."
Jon Drukman University of Massachusetts
BITNET: jsd@umass
ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
"Keep on pushing, keep lying, crying pushing down."  -- colourbox