Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Shriekback: Go Bang

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 88 17:41:45 EDT
Subject: Shriekback: Go Bang

This is certainly the year of depressing musical releases.  Nothing
that I have bought so far has blown me away, or even lived up to my
expectations.  The latest in a long line of dismal disappointments is
Shriekback's new LP - "Go Bang".  The inner groove message on side two
says "America.  here we come?"  Well, they've certainly slicked up
their sound and smoothed out any rough edges in the hopes of cracking
the american market.  Sigh.  Why bother?  They sound so generic
nowadays.  Dave Allen has left, and been replaced by a fairlight bass.
Not as funky, by half.  Even the human replacement on a few tracks is
lame.  The songs are all highly reminiscent of past outings - with
"Dust and Shadow" being the worst offender.  If there's one thing we
DON'T need it's another "This Big Hush" ripoff.  This one doesn't come
close.  The only time they show signs of cutting loose are on "Get
Down Tonight" - a cover of a KC and the Sunshine Band song.  You
remember it, I'm sure: "Do a little dance, make a little love, get
down tonight."  Well well well.  Anyway, do yourself a favor and buy
1985's classic masterpiece "Oil and Gold".  Get it on CD if you can -
it'll blow you out of your seat.

Jon Drukman                      University of Massachusetts
BITNET: jsd@umass                ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
"Everybody see that you can't go wrong
 Shriekback crash landing on a KC song!" -- shriekback